Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a good nights sleep?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A good friend of mine hasn't been sleeping very well for the past few weeks and constantly feels tired as a result, I suggested that she cut out all stimulants (coffee etc) throughout the day but it hasn't really helped.
There are 2 pubs close to her flat which are upn until about 1am at weekends, the patrons are very noisy so it makes catching up on sleep at weekends very difficult, some weekends she stays at my place if she isn't working and can literally sleep for 15 hours straight if left undesturbed.
She's tried most of the herbal sleep aids (Kalms Sleep, Herbal Nytol, etc) and Valerian Plus tea. Not working.
She can't go down the Benzo route because she has had issues with addiction in the past.
is there anything else she can do to try and get a decent night's sleep?

Cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try and relax for a couple of hours before going to bed, no tv, no computers/phones etc, just chill out, read a book or something
    If noise is the problem she can buy some custom made ear plugs (or a decent set of ear plugs in general).

My mum got some as she works nights and my brother is a noisy little shit.. she swears by them.
    JonQ wrote: »
    Other things that work are warm baths 30 min before bed

1.5-2 hours before bed
    Thanks for the tips I'll pass them on :thumb:
    I've been trying to work on this for a few years now, and I've also had the problem of not being able to be given benzo's due to abuse and OD's in the past.

If medication became her last resort there are other things that can be used to reduce anxiety and the make you sleepier. I've been on antipsychotics for this. Antihistamines can also work for some people, but that shouldn't be done reguarly I don't think.

Other than that, reading in bed before you sleep, warm baths like the other's said, warm milky drink (not something sugary), writing out any worries or things that need doing so that she can put them to the side and not be thinking about them and then a relaxation CD might help too, these worked well for me for a little while and I'd never hear the end!
    We live right across from the highway so it can be noisy as well, and the street lights/sun are annoying too... the boyfriend tinted the bedroom windows and has a white noise machine. He cannot sleep without them.