Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

St Johns Wort

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone tried this? I've researched into it a fair bit and just wondering whether it would be strong enough for me I guess, the side effects seem less severe than normal anti-depressants.

Comments

• Options
    its a very mild antidepressant so its not really worth the effort....
  • Options
    VeeDubZ wrote: »
    its a very mild antidepressant so its not really worth the effort....

You've no idea what you're talking about. St Johns' Wort is effectively used by lots of people.

Chaos. The funny thing about St Johns' is it can have funnt effects on people with depression, even though it's a natural alternative to AD's. Might be worth having a chat with a pharmacist/GP about it. Definitely do not take it if your on any prescibed medication without talking to your GP
  • Options
    Hey chaos,

Here's some more info on it taken from a link in our alterntiaves to antidepressants article :)

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/faq/herbal.htm
  • Options
    i've taken them on and off. when i was really depressed they offered some relief.. i noticed that they made a u-turn on my thoughts in a way, so if i was getting stressed/wound up/ obsessive the thoughts would fizzle away. the plus side is they are cheaper and you can take them privately so you don't have to go to the doc if you don't want to..
    side effects for me were a dry mouth and periods out of wack.. if you're a bloke, you needn't worry about that one!
    i would recommend trying them for about a month and see if it helps. it takes a few weeks to kick in first time round.
    i also take kalms tablets, the concoction helps with anxiety and keeps me more stable.
    you can get tinctures as well instead of the pills. the pills are quite big and don't smell or taste too good. >_<
    anyway, hope you get on ok. if you try it and nothing improves or things get worse, go see your doc, yeah?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    You've no idea what you're talking about. St Johns' Wort is effectively used by lots of people.

Chaos. The funny thing about St Johns' is it can have funnt effects on people with depression, even though it's a natural alternative to AD's. Might be worth having a chat with a pharmacist/GP about it. Definitely do not take it if your on any prescibed medication without talking to your GP
    Nutter and Rubberskin I have been speaking with the GP about it. I have not taken anything yet, am undecided. I was on Fluoxetine but have since stopped them as they made me so bad. I am unsure as to whether I will start St John's Wort or not though I have already bought some tablets just in case. I guess it's hard to know without trying them yourself.
  • Options
    I have been taking st johns wort for about 2 months now and I have to say I've been feeling a lot better generally, I didn't want to dabble with anti depressants because of the addictive side to them. I'd say go for it.