Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phone Line - Problems!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

So I am finally moving to London and moving into a flat with my bf. I'm trying to get us up and running communication wise but think it's going to cost us an arm and a leg.

Basically - there was a phone line in the flat but the previous tenants have cut the box (!) off the wall leaving just the wiring. So I phone BT and explain whats happened, customer advisor tells me it's £125 to wire a new line. I'll tell her I have the cables it's just the box on the end that's been removed so she tells me that's obscure and puts me on hold to speak to someone else,comes back and tells me they'll do it for £115. Running the wiring through your house only costs a tenner apparently.

Is there any other way of installing that little box that has been so unkindly removed. The landlord said he was it regularly among his 319 tenants (!!) but I think it's a really crappy thing to do. Can it be installed for cheaper or does it have to be BT official biz.

Thanks for any help,
Malt x

Comments

• Options
    If you want to stick with BT then this might be the only way.

Worth pointing out that you don't have to get your phone line through BT at all any more and other companies might well be much cheaper. Look at Virgin Media or Talktalk just as two examples.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that its easy to install a new box yourself which would probably cost you about £5 - surely its the same as just running new boxes around the house so that you can have a telephone in more than one room.

This page should show you how do do it http://www.britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm
  • Options
    if you've got the wiring you can goto any DIY shop and simply buy a new box if BT are going to be a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    You could see if there is a handyman in the area who could reconnect it for you? I am not sure but whowhere and wyetry's suggestions sound like good bets.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys :) I called (a very rude) Talktalk person and they do it for £60 but my bf was round today and his mate was helping him take things up, who happens to be qualified electrician and it going to take a look at it. It seems a complete mick take to charge such a ridiculous amount! Thanks and fingers crossed!