Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Students: Leave the UK

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8065615.stm
The government is urging graduates to consider a spell working abroad, whether in internships or volunteering, to avoid the worst of the recession.

The advice is backed by the National Union of Students and is being handed out on leaflets at universities over the next couple of weeks.

:( I dunno where to go abroad this summer...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    personally i think its a good idea for any graduate, but right now with the resession, i doubt there are many students who will be able to afford to work in another country. the air fares to other english speaking countries is enough to put off a hell of a lot of people.

I am thinking of going to work in germany once i finish my degree, and i may end up in america and canada at some point, but i'm not really aiming for it. there are few places better for my particular career than london...

but shit, if they keep telling people to go abroad, we're gonna have a grand exodus of students jumping at the chance to get out of the country. have they not thought about creating more opertunities here?
    Maybe...but it's not as though the economic crisis isn't affecting other countries too!
    singapore
    japan
    china
    australia
    brazil
    india

all countries with a booming economy, even now.
    Japan has a booming economy?

Is that why the major manufacturers- Honda and Toyota- both made losses last year?

I'd hardly say Brazil was booming, but then it depends on your perspective. I'd prefer to ask the people in the favelas if their economy is booming.
    Singapore has hybrid of democracy and authoritarianism.
    Japan has overcrowding and pollution problems.
    China has a hybrid of authoritarianism and general evil-ism.
    I think both Brazil and India would be a massive culture shock, as well as big step down in terms of money and social security. Not to mention the language barrier.

I agree with you about Austrailia though.