Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Torchwood - Children of Earth

Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The best episodes of Torchwood I've seen. If it carries on like this I might have to series link it on my PVR.

I just hope that today's episode doesn't have a silly ending and spoil the four days of excitement, twists and suspense.

Read the io9 review if you're ok with minor spoilers, but if you're a sci-fi fan get on to iplayer and watch it.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love it! Without spoiling, I wept buckets last night. :crying:
  • Options
    I found the first episode a bit slow and strange - mainly because I couldn't understand why no one made reference to the midn control from 'The Christmas Invasion' in Doctor Who... just kind of broke the end of it being a realistic world - that and the 'Oh Martha is off on honeymoon'.

But it really does seem to have picked up, though I've only seen the first three episodes so I'll be sitting down to enjoy the last two tomorrow morning. :)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I found the first episode a bit slow and strange - mainly because I couldn't understand why no one made reference to the midn control from 'The Christmas Invasion' in Doctor Who... just kind of broke the end of it being a realistic world - that and the 'Oh Martha is off on honeymoon'

:yes:

I like John Barrowman, also can't understand why they moved the show to BBC 1 and then cut back on episodes.
    I would of much preferred a weekly episode in a regular time slot!
  • Options
    :yes:

I like John Barrowman, also can't understand why they moved the show to BBC 1 and then cut back on episodes.
    I would of much preferred a weekly episode in a regular time slot!

I know there is a full series next year running along with the new series of Dr Who, I wonder if it so they can run both series side by side.

I "dared" to almost cry last night, 2nd best Char that person was.
  • Options
    I normally hate things like this but I actually quite like it. I watched Wednesdays and last nights and will watch tonight too :)

Did bring a tear to my eye last night :crying:
  • Options
    I loved it :) I thought the story line was great (although my stepdad thought he found a fault **SPOILER**

.... if the 456 are 'druggies' then why would they threaten to destroy the human race? ...because they produce their drug of choice.??
  • Options
    ending of part 5 was a let down tbh

i was hoping for the doctor to appear n fix everything.
  • Options
    yeah but tbh everyone expected The Doctor to appear n fix it and I for one is getting tired of that happening, I liked it as it was different, didnt like the fact Capt Jack did that to his grandson but I liked it non the less
  • Options
    Yeah, the problem with Torchwood is that you can't realistically have anything that's such a massive threat in the Doctor Who universe, and not have the Doctor get involved.

I just watched all five episodes back to back. I'm knackered now. The usual thing of not being arsed to watch a film, but split 5 hours into seperate episodes, and I'll sit down and watch them all.

This is the first time I've watched Torchwood, and I thought it was up there with the best Doctor Who plots. But I also reckon that other than Barrowman, the characters are nowhere near as interesting or charasmatic. But I guess that works better in a more serious drama (well, serious in relation to Doctor Who). I also think the while the solution to save the world seemed a bit contrived, the moral dilemma and subsequent character development made it worthwhile. But how come at the end, all of the soldiers all seemed to instantly get the message that the kidnapping was called off?

But it's still not as good as Doctor Who. I can't take it seriously enough as a serious drama, and as an entertaining drama, it's just not as, well entertaining, as Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Yeah, the problem with Torchwood is that you can't realistically have anything that's such a massive threat in the Doctor Who universe, and not have the Doctor get involved.

I just watched all five episodes back to back. I'm knackered now. The usual thing of not being arsed to watch a film, but split 5 hours into seperate episodes, and I'll sit down and watch them all.

This is the first time I've watched Torchwood, and I thought it was up there with the best Doctor Who plots. But I also reckon that other than Barrowman, the characters are nowhere near as interesting or charasmatic. But I guess that works better in a more serious drama (well, serious in relation to Doctor Who). I also think the while the solution to save the world seemed a bit contrived, the moral dilemma and subsequent character development made it worthwhile. But how come at the end, all of the soldiers all seemed to instantly get the message that the kidnapping was called off?

But it's still not as good as Doctor Who. I can't take it seriously enough as a serious drama, and as an entertaining drama, it's just not as, well entertaining, as Doctor Who.

I wondered that about the soldiers as well,

I have to say on some levels I prefer Torchwood, bit more gritty, messy and in your face (like Cpt J's regen from the bomb explosion) and I love the plots, Ianto did seem quite a week Char in this mini-series, I wonder if this is because he knew he was getting killed off? I don't know, I thought Gwen did a good job, specially in the last episode I thought her Camera scene was good and Rys took me by suprise (Yes I don't know all the actors names) I thought he played really well, Overall I thought the acting was brilliant, the ending with the moral dilema worked well but I didn't like it, I guess it was stemming back to the 65 encounter and the fact Jack was coming across as "Bad" or even in some respects EVIL, I don't know

I believe a new series is planned for 2010, they're just waiting to see how this one went down but rumor has it the actors are signed/onboard. I hope Rys becomes part of torchwood but Ianto dying pissed me off.
  • Options
    While Doctor Who is on the agenda i cant belive David Tennant is leaving :(

i loved him as a doctor!!!!
  • Options
    I wonder who's gonna be in the new team with Jack and Gwen...??

My fav episode of Torchwood so far is: Random Shoes- from series 1 :)
  • Options
    I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I thought the writing wasn't as good as previous series, it was flimsy, there were loads of plot holes and I was very disappointed that they had killed off yet another member of the team.

The one positive was I really warmed to Gwen and found her very inspirational.
  • Options
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    I was very disappointed that they had killed off yet another member of the team.
    I thought the writing was much better than series 2, which was mostly awful, and I did get very upset at the ending.

Also, cried for ages when Ianto died. There are rumours of a series 4, and they seemed to be setting Lois up to join the team, but I'm not sure how it would work.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I thought the writing was much better than series 2, which was mostly awful, and I did get very upset at the ending.

Also, cried for ages when Ianto died. There are rumours of a series 4, and they seemed to be setting Lois up to join the team, but I'm not sure how it would work.

Yeah, another Martha Jones on the team? I hope not...
  • Options
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    Yeah, another Martha Jones on the team? I hope not...
    You think Lois is another Martha? I'm not sure. At least they can't recycle Donna. I like her, but Torchwood is more than Doctor Who lite.
  • Options
    I like this series a lot.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    You think Lois is another Martha? I'm not sure. At least they can't recycle Donna. I like her, but Torchwood is more than Doctor Who lite.

Lois and Martha have similar accents, are of similar ages, both smart-arses, look slightly similar! Maybe I'll be proved wrong and we'll find Lois has some sort of eccentricity or is in fact another surviving Time Lord! Which would be cool...