Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Very easy on the eye, but is there more to it?

According to the Mail: "A prison officer who claims she was hounded out of her job after repeated criticism for being too sexy and 'glammed up' is demanding compensation from Jack Straw at an employment tribunal. Petite Amitjo Kajla told the hearing how colleagues complained that she wore too much make up and that her clothing was more revealing than the standard issue uniform... Another inmate was overheard telling Miss Kajla: 'I wouldn't mind taking you back to a cell', the tribunal heard today."

She was based at Brinsford Young Offenders Institution near Wolverhampton. One look on Wikipedia and you will discover that "In 2008, an additional residential unit and activity centre were built at Brinsford. This resulted in a reduction of places for Juveniles, and an increase in places for Young Offenders at the prison." Young offenders are those over the age of 18. So the idea that a sexually frustrated young male, stuck in prison all day, would tell an attractive female officer that he "wouldn't mind taking [her] back to a cell' shouldn't be news to anyone.

I'll be the first to admit that this Amitjo Kajla is very easy on the eye, although I don't think we've got the whole story here. But I can't help but ask myself - why would a 22-year old woman with a size four frame want to work in a young offenders institution? These "young offenders" (or criminals, as I prefer to call them) could be capable of being very dangerous - without meaning to be sexist, how would such a petite woman defend herself against some of these men if they were to turn nasty, for instance?

A case of someone being in the wrong job, methinks. Over to you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She looks 15 to me.
    Just because she's small doesn't mean she's crap at her job. I know a couple of people who've worked in the high security prisons near here, and one of them is only 5'1.

You really can be a tit sometimes.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I don't think we've got the whole story here.

It's The Daily Hate - you can't be sure you have a story, let alone the whole story.
    On the BBC it said that several of the prisoners knew her home address as well.
    I don't see what her size has to do with anything? she obv didn't think 'ohh... instead of being a model... i want to be a prison officer!'
    Well actually, as far as being a prison officer is concerned, I myself can see why size might be an issue.

I've been to a prison once to visit someone and not all officers I saw were particularly muscley or big by any means, but there has to be a cut off point I suppose. A person who is too small to portray any sort of physical authority might not be best suited to be in charge of watching over prisoners, for obvious reasons I would have thought.
    It's got to a point now where because people are so unwilling to offend someone, people who aren't suitable for the job are being employed.

The very fact that these prisoners knew where she lived of all things means she wasn't up to it.
    Having possibly seen a little more of prison, and young offenders institutes than most people, I'd say the problem was how she behaved in prison rather than her appearance.
    Most of the criticisms seem to be stuff that would apply not matter how big she was. And I would guess that any slightly attractive woman might recieve similar comments from inmates.