Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Unpaid Water Bill. Advice please !!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all would just like some advice!

Recently, my bank screwed up my direct debit scheme with my water company which meant, i wasnt paying for the water....(until i checked, which is my own fault)
Now the bill has been rising and iv been paying little off every month.

I went camping last week only to arrive home yesterday to find a letter from 29th June from Bay collections saying i owe the full amount of the bill by the 9th July. It is now the 12th.

I can fortunately pay off the lump of it, this coming week...say thursday when i will have sufficient funds in my account. But my question is to you will they allow me to pay it or will they have started any further action?

I did pay off £60 yesterday night but what with it being sunday today and the offices are closed iv been delayed a day..

Im rather worried

Thanks guys for reading!
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ring them tomorrow. Say you've just got the letter, and offer a payment plan. In the current climate any payment is better then none.

Most companies threaten legal action, before they actually take it.
    I doubt they'd cut you off so fast, in my 2nd year at uni we ignored some of the bills for months and they never came and cut us off. just sent letter after letter gradually getting more threatening. just pay it off as soon as you can and yes, it cant hurt to give them a ring
    Thanks guys for your replies ! made me feel a lot better !

much appreciated :)
    x
    Water cannot be disconnected. The only option the company has if you refuse to pay is to issue county court claim form against you.

Just offer them a repayment schedule of what you can realistically afford. If they aren't happy with it then again, a CCJ is their only option. All this would involve is having a court assess what you can offer as a repayment plan anyway so it doesn't technically make any difference as to what you are doing.
    yup, it's illegal for them to cut you off.. you always have to have a supply of water to the house..

the water companies are trialling a new thing at the moment though that reduces non-paying customers supply to a trickle though..
    hehehe we once had a bill that was 3 months late, we had just been travelling and had no idea we'd forgotten it. we found bailiff letters and all sorts of stuff on the doormat! but basically, we just called them and told them we had been away and paid it off asap.

same goes for virgin media, council tax, british gas....i guess its us who give students a bad name :razz: