Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Under eighteen.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm seventeen, and I'll be starting at University of the Arts London in September. Thing is, my eighteenth birthday isn't until December - will I totally miss out on freshers' week, or are they at all accommodating?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    at scottish unis they are accomodating, i went to edinburgh and all the people who were over 18 were given a wristband which they needed to show at the bar to buy drinks. So i'd definately be surprised if you couldn't get in if you are under 18
  • Options
    That's reassuring. I'm going to uni in London, though, so they might be more strict. Probably should have mentioned that.
  • Options
    i dont know about english unis at all unfortunately, i dont know how accomodating they would be as most english students are 18 when they go to university
  • Options
    You won't miss out on all the freshers stuff entirely, but being under 18 and in London you're likely to have problems getting into places that check most people through the door.

The union shouldn't be too much of a problem though and there'll be a fair amount going on in there.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I was 17 when I went to uni and my first term was a bit of a blur ...
  • Options
    In the union they will probably just assume that your over 18 so i wouldn't imagine there would be any problems - its really unusual for people to be 17 at university in London - i was one of the yongest in my year when i started and i was 20.

However I would say that freshers week in London really isn't like it is elsewhere in the UK where your all on one campus so there might not be much to miss out on as loads of people live at home or are off doing thier own thing. I only really remember there being a couple of freshers fairs and a badly organised party in halls that was it.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    In the union they will probably just assume that your over 18 so i wouldn't imagine there would be any problems - its really unusual for people to be 17 at university in London - i was one of the yongest in my year when i started and i was 20.

Mm, that's definitely a concern as well. I know of a few people who are just due to turn eighteen, but I'm pretty sure I'll be the youngest - I left school a year early so I'm not surprised.

Kind of disappointing about the lack of things going on at Freshers', but at least I won't be missing out on much. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    Nah you'll probably be ok. My friend was 17 in our Freshers' week and never really missed out. You may miss out on external clubs if they are strict on ID, though.