Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cutting a lease short?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys

me and my boyfriend have split up but our lease on out room dosnt run out until october and i really cant stay here that long.
i went to the letting agents this morning to ask them and they told me that the landlord is taking the property back so i need to write him a letter explaining the situation and asking what he can do.
heres the problem, i really dont know what to write to him? i ended up crying my eyes out in the letting agents so i forgot to ask them what i should put...:no:

can anyone give me any help?

xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Ri* wrote: »
    hey guys

me and my boyfriend have split up but our lease on out room dosnt run out until october and i really cant stay here that long.
    i went to the letting agents this morning to ask them and they told me that the landlord is taking the property back so i need to write him a letter explaining the situation and asking what he can do.
    heres the problem, i really dont know what to write to him? i ended up crying my eyes out in the letting agents so i forgot to ask them what i should put...:no:

can anyone give me any help?

xx

What are your contract break terms? You would normally have a one month or a two month break in there.
    i looked through my tenancy contract and it didnt say anything about it.
    You need to check your tenancy agreement to see if there's a break clause. Not all tenancy agreements have them; it's not always possible to walk out of a tenancy agreement early. Different agreements have different notice periods too.

It's probably worth ringing the landlord up and telling him what's going on, especially if you don't have a break clause. It's only polite to ring him to tell him you're leaving, even if you don't have to give much notice.

The letter itself doesn't have to say much.

In accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement, I hereby give you [x] month(s) notice of my intention to quit the property. I will be leaving the property on [x].

If you don't understand your tenancy agreement, your local CAB or your student advice centre can help.
    there isnt anything in my contract about it.
    i need to get out of there asap - its torture having to still live there with him.
    There will be something in your tenancy agreement about it. It's whether you understand the legalese.

If you can scan it I can have a quick look. Otherwise get yourself down the CAB.