Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SSP and housing benefit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys. At the moment I am borderline too ill to work, and if I am signed off I was wondering if I will be eligible to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit? I have looked around the internet but there's only very brief mentions of it. It is a last resort but I have to accept the possibility some time out may do me good, though unfortunately at under £80 a week I wouldn't be able to afford to not work without some other form of benefit, my rent alone is £260 a month.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whilst I don't have an answer for you man, our money advisors on askTheSite should be able to help.

If you want to I'd suggest asking a question over at -
    http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite

and see if they can point you int he right direction.
    Hope it helps :)
    Thanks...it looks like it's a possibility I may be eligible. May call Samaritans as well.
    Shelter should be able to help as well - worth speakign to them about the housing situation.
    Housing benefit is assessed according to income unless you receive a qualifying benefit- these are income support, income-based JSA and income-based Employment Support Allowance.

If your only source of income is SSP then it's likely you'll be entitled to housing benefit. Housing benefit is paid on a sliding scale and how much you get depends on your 'eligible rent' and what your income is.

I assume that you're single. If you're under 25 then your 'eligible rent' will be a maximum of the cost of renting a room in a shared house. If you're over 25 then it's the cost of renting a one-bedroom flat. If you're renting privately the local council have a list of the 'eligible rents' in your area, it's known as local housing allowance. If you're not single your partner's income is also taken into account. A partner is classed as someone you're living with as though you were married/civil partnered.

If you go to the council they can advise you on what you'd get if your income is just SSP. Alternatively give Community Legal Advice a call on 0845 345 4345 and they can do a benefit calculation for you.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Housing benefit is assessed according to income unless you receive a qualifying benefit- these are income support, income-based JSA and income-based Employment Support Allowance.

If your only source of income is SSP then it's likely you'll be entitled to housing benefit. Housing benefit is paid on a sliding scale and how much you get depends on your 'eligible rent' and what your income is.

I assume that you're single. If you're under 25 then your 'eligible rent' will be a maximum of the cost of renting a room in a shared house. If you're over 25 then it's the cost of renting a one-bedroom flat. If you're renting privately the local council have a list of the 'eligible rents' in your area, it's known as local housing allowance. If you're not single your partner's income is also taken into account. A partner is classed as someone you're living with as though you were married/civil partnered.

If you go to the council they can advise you on what you'd get if your income is just SSP. Alternatively give Community Legal Advice a call on 0845 345 4345 and they can do a benefit calculation for you.
    Thanks, that helps loads. Yes I'm single. I will ring the council if I am signed off work for more than a week.