Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Michael Jackson's Memorial

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am I the only one who was uncomfortable at the footage of his daughter saying a few words? I might have completely got the wrong end of the stick, but it felt immensely uncomfortable, like a bit voyeuristic to put a child's grief on show like that? I'm not saying she didn't want to do it, but it's quite a pressure for her.
It seems a shame that Michael Jackson himself really sheltered his children from the public eye, and now suddenly they are put on show for everyone to see...

Here's a clip if anyone's missed it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8139564.stm

What do others think about it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its really sad and brought a tear to my eye.
    I dont think its innapropriate to have his daughter speak at her fathers memorial
    i don't think she was put 'on show', she was joining in and letting the world know how she felt.
    I was moved to tears personally.
    i dont think it was inappropriate either, i mean, shes 11 is she, i dont think they forced her to do it. saying that i did find it a bit uncomfortable and it made me cry :(
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i dont think it was inappropriate either, i mean, shes 11 is she, i dont think they forced her to do it. saying that i did find it a bit uncomfortable and it made me cry :(

Yeah, from how they all were on the stage, I think it was *her* that wanted to say something, rather than being forced to.

I did find the whole thing a rather strange affair. I suppose that was to be expected, given the strange life that the Jackson family have led. Here's hoping that they can grieve in peace now, for the sake of the children.
    I have no reason to think that she was somehow coherced into doing this. It appeared to be her genuine wish that she wanted to say something at her own father's funeral. That is something that I would never criticise in a million years.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I have no reason to think that she was somehow coherced into doing this. It appeared to be her genuine wish that she wanted to say something at her own father's funeral. That is something that I would never criticise in a million years.

Yeah, I gotta agree. It was a spontaneous gesture on her part. Bless 'em.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta agree. It was a spontaneous gesture on her part. Bless 'em.

Right, Janet was originally supposed to speak, but she wanted to say a few words about her father.

I'm not much of a crier, but I teared up when I saw it and heard that tiny voice crack. I cried for her because you could feel her pain for that brief moment, and it was a great amount of pain for such a little body.
    Had no issues with his daughter on stage although I did think it was sick having Michael Jackson's body on stage..

He was in the limelight his whole life, hunted like a dog by the press day after day, had disrespectful fans breaking down and crying all over him all the time, missed his whole childhood because his prick of a father made him perform on stage through his youth and they decide it's a great idea to put him up there when he's dead.. blatently to bump up the ratings the fucking scumbags.