Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cameron apologises for Section 28

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Too right too, imo. What does everyone think about this?

Although:
"The Conservatives had the first woman prime minister, and we are bound to have the first black prime minister and the first gay prime minister," he said.
:confused: It's not a fucking competition.

But anyways, I reckon the Conservatives are still blatantly the last party you'd vote for in terms of gay rights. But equally, I think they've realised that they can angle a low tax "keep more of your money" manifesto to a mainly childless group, so it's probably a good political move. I just hope their attitudes are changing, rather than just their politics.

But let's look at the recent record of the Tories shall we?

On this very issue, in 2003:
The removal of the clause designed to repeal Section 28 of the Local Government Bill (is it just me, or are these things deliberately worded to confuse you as to who's voted for what?)
Conservatives: 23 against, 71 for
Labour: 301 against, 3 for
Lib Dems: 38 against, 0 for

That's quite a turnaround is such a short time, if what Cameron says is true.

But let's look at some more recent votes, to see the new pro-gay Tories.

Equality Act 2007 Amendment - Lords (essentially an amendment to allow religious institution to discriminate against gay people)
Conservative: 4 against, 68 for
Labour: 103 against, 10 for
Lib Dems: 42 against, 1 for

Oh dear.

Seriously, go on The Public Whip, look up any vote on gay rights, and the Tories will almost always be on the side of denying them. And not a little bit, usually overwhelmingly. Now on most issues you could put it down to them simply holding the view that laws protecting people's rights aren't the best way to go about it. But Section 28 was a huge example of how it wasn't about that at all, because this was an example of state intervention specifically targetting homosexuality. A law that as recently as 2003, was still backed pretty convincingly by the Tories. Now that's a hell of a turnaround in such a short time.

Comments

• Options
    Cameron is not entirely correct. We already have our first gay Prime Minister - his name is Peter Mandelson.

I can't see what the point in apologising for this actually was. Section 28 was an entirely cosmetic piece of legislation. Not one person was ever prosecuted for breaking it. So I have no idea why Call Me Dave has done this.
  • Options
    A law that as recently as 2003

It was only a few years ago that the World Health Organisation took gayness out of their BIG Book of Diseases. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Quite right that he should apologise, although section 28 was only ever a cosmetic piece of legislation designed to appease wrong-thinking Fail readers.

I'm just waiting for Brian Souter, CEO Of Scumcoach, to apologise for providing over £1million in funding to the Scottish pro-s28 campaign. Money that came from Scumcoach's profits, i.e. the taxpayer.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Cameron is not entirely correct. We already have our first gay Prime Minister - his name is Peter Mandelson.

I can't see what the point in apologising for this actually was. Section 28 was an entirely cosmetic piece of legislation. Not one person was ever prosecuted for breaking it. So I have no idea why Call Me Dave has done this.
    Because it was an abominable, disgusting, appalling piece of legislation which very existence was an insult to anyone with an ounce of common decency in them?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Because it was an unjustified, irrelevant piece of legislation that made criminals out of innocent people? Its immaterial that no one was prosecuted although there was one attempted prosecution back in May 200 when the Christian Institute unsuccessfully took Glasgow City Council to court for funding an AIDS support charity which the Institute alleged promoted homosexuality.
  • Options
    I think it's right that he should apologise.

I think it's wrong that (it seems to me) he's purely apologising to use it as a political point to win some votes.

That's politics for you though.
  • Options
    I suspect most people don't like have their votes taken for granted - you're gay you must vote Labour is almost designed to drive people to the Tories (and as an aside virtually the only right wing civil servants I've met apart from myself and the PAs are gay)
  • Options
    The term 'promoting homosexuality' always strikes me as odd, did people really think that teachers would try and turn their little johnnie gay?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The term 'promoting homosexuality' always strikes me as odd, did people really think that teachers would try and turn their little johnnie gay?
    That was the official 'concern'. In reality however the homophobes objected to children being taught that homosexuals are human beings equal to others who should enjoy the same basic rights.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That was the official 'concern'. In reality however the homophobes objected to children being taught that homosexuals are human beings equal to others who should enjoy the same basic rights.

How odd, and also rather flattering of homosexuality really that it is such a desirable path to choose that we have to sheild people from it or they will all try it.