Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

USA with Criminal Record

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What chance do I have of being able to get into USA with a criminal record? I know your meant to apply for a special visa but would probably get turned down for that. How would they have everybody's criminal record anyway. If yo get refused entry what happens?

Comments

• Options
    My step-brother just ticked "no" on the visa waiver form, they didn't check it.

If it's just for tourism you're only there for a short time anyway.
  • Options
    My brother in law also technicaly has a criminal record in the US as well - for driving with out insurance and leaving the scene of an accident (in the states not in the UK) - but they've not yet stopped him from getting in. However you do always run the risk that they will identify you - but its highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Go to Canada instead and kind of wander over the border.
  • Options
    Not sure how often it actually happens but I've heard of people with minor drug offences getting stopped and put on a flight back. Although, I'd guess you would have to be very unlucky.
  • Options
    That's great, but this question was posted 18 months ago.

:banghead:
  • Options
    Yeah, poor guy is probably in Guantanamo as we speak ....
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    When asked about your criminal convictions or arrests on you visa waiver form LIE.
    If you admit to anything they'll turn you around.
    If you get caught out - which never happens you'll get turned around.

Either way you lose nothing by lying.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    If you admit to anything they'll turn you around.

No, they just won't let you travel to begin with, your visas are checked before you check in as it's all done online. If you apply for the visa well in advance, before you've even bought your tickets like the US Embassy website tells you to, it won't be a problem.
    If you get caught out - which never happens you'll get turned around.

Either way you lose nothing by lying.

The cost of your holiday? Also, you would be required to pay your return fare which will probably cost a fair bit. if you can't pay then they detain you until your scheduled flight.

I've just got back from the USA and to say they're serious about this shit is an understatment.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote: »
    No, they just won't let you travel to begin with, your visas are checked before you check in as it's all done online. If you apply for the visa well in advance, before you've even bought your tickets like the US Embassy website tells you to, it won't be a problem.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=119370&highlight=waiver

You don't generally have to get a visa to travel to the US if you're British or from one of the 26 other countries signed up to he Visa Waiver Programme.
    You used to have to fill in a visa waiver form on the plane but you no longer have to do this apparently. As of this year all you have to answer the same questions online before you fly.
    http://www.airfares.co.uk/VisaHealth/US_Visa_Waiver_Scheme.asp

Again all you need to do is lie

They don't have immediate access to the fact you may have been cautioned for D&D 10 years ago. It doesn't work like that. If you admit it they'll most likely turn you around and that fact will remain on their records and you'll be fucked for good flying to the US.

I've been arrested a dozen times, filled in the waiver and I had no probs.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The cost of your holiday? Also, you would be required to pay your return fare which will probably cost a fair bit. if you can't pay then they detain you until your scheduled flight

Well either take the risk or don't go.
    Don't apply and admit to having even been arrested. It will fuck you up for travelling there for good.
    Weekender Offender 
This discussion has been closed.