Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I want a new camera but i dont know where to start!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im on an art an design college course, and in the second year you specials in subjects, one of them is going to be photography im also planning on studying this at uni so it would be a good investment.

I want to get a digital camera which takes really nice sharp pictures, that can do macro shots, is good at taking pictures outside and in.

I dont want an SLR camera as they are far out of my budget. I just dont know where to start, i know your probaly thinking that as a photography student i should know what is good and what i should be looking for, but they dont really talk about that side of it.

My budget is £150, maybe £200 and a push.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Im on an art an design college course, and in the second year you specials in subjects, one of them is going to be photography im also planning on studying this at uni so it would be a good investment.

I want to get a digital camera which takes really nice sharp pictures, that can do macro shots, is good at taking pictures outside and in.

I dont want an SLR camera as they are far out of my budget. I just dont know where to start, i know your probaly thinking that as a photography student i should know what is good and what i should be looking for, but they dont really talk about that side of it.

My budget is £150, maybe £200 and a push.

Any ideas?

Try http://www.dpreview.com/ for camera reviews, or just pick up a magazine like Digital Camera or Amateur Photographer.

To be honest with a 200 quid budget you are firmly in the mid-range consumer section of the camera market, where there are any number of average to good cameras. So long as you pick a recognised good brand the camera will do ok, but if you are considering using it as part of a photog course then you should research your intended purchase first to make sure it offers the sort of manual control and overrides that you might need for the course (Priority modes, exposure compensation, that sort of thing.)

If you could stretch into the 280-400 pound range the quality of your purchase would increase a lot.
  • Options
    See thats abit to much, im hoping the money i will get for my birthday wll cover it, but i've als got driving lessons to pay for :( but i will see!

Yeah, i want a camera where i can have control of shutter speed, apenture (sorry if its spelt wrong). It is so i can go out and about and take photos, improve the way i take photos.

What i am very intersted in is taking photos of nature and just photos out and about mainly, so i want a camera that can handle that nicely :)
  • Options
    Actually, I'm interested in a camera that would allow me to adjust shutter speed, aparture and depth of field. My old Olympus C765Z had full control, where my later μ1000 model is superior in many ways but have ditched the full control :-/
  • Options
    I would just feel more control in the pictures that i take.
    Would it cost more to buy a camera where you would have alot of control?
  • Options
    I would just feel more control in the pictures that i take.
    Would it cost more to buy a camera where you would have alot of control?

Not necessarily, you just have to check what functionality is available before buying. Many of the cheaper cameras are more automatic, though, because the average buyer doesn't really care all that much.
  • Options
    i've been looking around and i think that the Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd looks quite nice.
    round about £140 pounds, what do you think?
  • Options
    i've been looking around and i think that the Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd looks quite nice.

You probably wouldn't go too wrong with it. It seems to offer the manual functionality you want whilst being capable on auto as well. In http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/ this group test it seemed mid-range compared to other similar cameras.
  • Options
    Looks really good! I've noticed that its dis-continued on that website, but its selling at the same price as other websites. Hopefully it will stick at that price this time next month.

If not the Fuji Finepix S1500 doesnt look bad either :)
  • Options

The little tiny camera you carry with you always takes better photos then the BIG camera that gets left in a drawer.

Just make sure you know what this camera is going to be used for most of the time and that you are prepared to carry it around.

If it's for a course then size shouldn't be an issue, if it's for nightclubbing, going out, etc then size is more of an issue - most people into photography have 2 or 3 cameras at least.

I used to have a huge Nikon Digital SLR and although it took great photos, I hardly ever carried it around with me cos it was big, heavy and delicate compared to my current compact camera which survived a drop onto hard concrete and still works fine.

No one camera will do everything and they all have pro's and con's - you need to list the important features you want and see what fits in your budget
  • Options
    It wouldn't be for cubbing or going out at all, i have a shitty camera for that :P

I havnt actually looked at the small compact cameras really, what type of camera do you use now?
  • Options
    I love Canon and would always recomend them, I got Laura a Sony Cybershot a few years back and its the most perfect camera I've ever used, lovely manual controls as well

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh7/ - here is the review, the price as dropped for these too about £170mark so a bargin at that but deffo worth the money imo
  • Options
    It wouldn't be for cubbing or going out at all, i have a shitty camera for that :P

I havnt actually looked at the small compact cameras really, what type of camera do you use now?

Current camera is a Fuji but wouldn't really recommend it

It can take some amazing low light photos but it's pretty crap during the day - outdoor, Fuji good for indoors photos, canon good for outdoors and other stuff, huge price difference though - canon's costs more generally.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I love Canon and would always recomend them, I got Laura a Sony Cybershot a few years back and its the most perfect camera I've ever used, lovely manual controls as well

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh7/ - here is the review, the price as dropped for these too about £170mark so a bargin at that but deffo worth the money imo

that looks a really good camera, i never thought to look at sony just because i assumed it would be extremely expensive for a camera but thats really good.

I found it for about £140 on http://newtechlink.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=370 but i dont know if its a safe website to buy it from...
    Current camera is a Fuji but wouldn't really recommend it

It can take some amazing low light photos but it's pretty crap during the day - outdoor, Fuji good for indoors photos, canon good for outdoors and other stuff, huge price difference though - canon's costs more generally.

ahh i didnt know that, we use fuji at college and they seem alright, but i always use digital for studio shoots and film for outdoors for some reason so i suppose i've never noticed....
  • Options
    My observations of FUJI are purely for digital and also for their compacts, although this weekend three of us has totally different FUJI's and we were comparing them when taking photos outdoors.

The sensor FUJI uses is totally different to all the other manufacturers

I prefer photos with a top quality CMOS sensor to a CCD as well - but CMOS is also used in dirt cheap rubbish cameras

There's simply no such thing as the perfect camera for every situation.

This camera looks kinda cool

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/22386/olympus-e-p1-review/
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

woah, that camera cost about £600 quid, tottaly out of my price range, but it does look really nice...

I think im going to go either with the Cybershot sony camera that hellfire suggested ir the fujifine pix s2000hd
  • Options
    let us know the best prices you find before you part with your cash
  • Options
    i said i wanted a camera between £150 and £200 in my first post
  • Options
    i said i wanted a camera between £150 and £200 in my first post

Yes, that's NOT what I asked

read the question again..
  • Options
    I think if you're seriously planning on doing photography at uni then a DSLR camera is an absoloute must, but if you're looking for a point and shoot to tide you over until then then i recommend the canon ixus 90 is, it's super compact & has quite a wide array of 'special' functions such as colour swap, colour highlight etc and shoots video..

If you can wait though, I'd save the other 300-400 and get a canon eos 450d or similar.. i play with one from time to time and the pictures you can take are very impressive, even as an amateur :)
  • Options
    For £200 you might be able to pick up a Canon 350D SLR second hand. They, and the 400 series really are excellent cameras and with the ability to add on new lenses mean it could be a real investment over the years. It may only be 10 megapixel, but SLR cameras are based on the quality of the CMOS sensor, not how many pixels it has, and Canon cameras (including the compacts) have some of the best CMOS sensors around.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Yes, that's NOT what I asked

read the question again..

oh sorry! i read it really fast, i thought you said "wll you should post what price range your looking for"
    I think if you're seriously planning on doing photography at uni then a DSLR camera is an absoloute must, but if you're looking for a point and shoot to tide you over until then then i recommend the canon ixus 90 is, it's super compact & has quite a wide array of 'special' functions such as colour swap, colour highlight etc and shoots video..

If you can wait though, I'd save the other 300-400 and get a canon eos 450d or similar.. i play with one from time to time and the pictures you can take are very impressive, even as an amateur

That looks like a really nice compact camera! and its a really good price! the only thing is if i want a better one i will be waiting a log time as i havnt got a job and the rest of the birthday money im getting is going on driving lessons :/
    For £200 you might be able to pick up a Canon 350D SLR second hand. They, and the 400 series really are excellent cameras and with the ability to add on new lenses mean it could be a real investment over the years. It may only be 10 megapixel, but SLR cameras are based on the quality of the CMOS sensor, not how many pixels it has, and Canon cameras (including the compacts) have some of the best CMOS sensors around.

I was actually thinking about gett a second had SLR camera, i think the only trouble with that is finding the money to buy the lenses...

I will be making my mind up soon! my birthday is in a couple of weeks so not long till i can get one :)
  • Options
    I don't think anything is gonna make a photo look so amazing as the control of depth of field

http://dpnow.com/5973.html

although this is cool done on a casio high speed camera

http://www.vimeo.com/1165591

http://gizmodo.com/341634/casios-exilim-pro-ex+f1-hands+on-1200-fps-demo-video-and-sample-60+shots+per+second-gallery