Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

VAT Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I was to buy something from the US and have it shipped to a friend who lives there. Then he was to send it on to the UK as a gift, would I still be liable for a VAT bill when it arrived?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Ahha, just found out that the limit is £36 for gifts. Do I presume that they charge you for Duty and VAT over the £36 or do they then charge you based on the full amount?
  • Options
    If it's £36+, you'll need to pay the 15% VAT on the product itself, but also 15% on the shipping - which I find very unfair!
  • Options
    Yep, plus most couriers will charge you for them putting it through customs, paying the money for you, and having to collect the money back from you...

EMS are supposed to be quite lax about it from what I've heard. Though that may only be available from China/Japan/etc...
  • Options
    If it's worth more than £36, and you're honest, then you will be.

Tick the value as less than £36 and see what happens?
  • Options
    Thanks! It seems that when you include postage it works out just the same as if bought over here - might as well go the easy route and buy from a UK site!!
  • Options
    What kind of gift? Apparently books are exempt...
  • Options
    Knee high boots! There is a massive lack of lace up boots in the UK :(
  • Options
    wow.. i had no idea of that rule.

I put an order of over 5000 usd from the US... it was whole sale clothes that one of the sites my partner takes care of. She got called about a package at TNT heathrow and she didnt even know i placed the order yet. She came out with a classic story about how the items were going to be printed and customised to be given away at a private function.

The woman told her to send an email to pass to her manager and next day everything arrived.

They just want rid of the stuff. I guess the email was the reason why it's not a problem.. because if someone wanted to enquire about it then it's down on writing that TNT couldnt prove them wrong