Home Travel & Free Time
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here

America's Favorite Football Team

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
A buddy and I were having a debate about who is America's Football Team. Please help me settle this dispute.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Packers.

    There is no "favorite" team. I grew up in Minnesota with a mother who grew up in Wisonsin. I grew up with the mindset that Packers and anybody playing the Vickings were the best team. Now I live in Illinois where the Packer and the Bears are the two rival teams... nobody cares about the Vikings. Don't be silly to think there is one "American" team. There are 32 teams and 32 "American teams" depding on who you speak to.

    My silly brother says he won't cheer for the Packers until they change management. He lives in Ohio now... what... is he going to cheer for the Browns until then? Blah :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I quite like watching NFL - the team i most enjoyed watching was the Detroit Lions as they made history by being the only team to lose every game of the season.

    There is something amusing about watching a team get tarred and feathered every match :hyper:
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    NFL is boring.
    Nothing happens for 90% of the game.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The 90% is filled in with skinny men wearing more padding than a bouncy castle going:

    'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFCAAAAAAAAAKE'

    This level of awesomeness and floods of statistics and americanisms really add to the atmosphere of it all - when compared to the amount of time the ball gets passed from end to end in an average football match its about the same amount of 'nothing'
    Plays like this are also worth waiting for!

    I would recommend drinking and then getting a snack that would kill a vegan in one sitting and trying it out again!
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    With football the ball is in play most at least 90% of the game, it's a fluid game.
    In American football it's the oposite. Bores me to death.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, gridiron seems very 'stop and start'. That, plus I don't know what the hell is going on in it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's better if you need a pee. I can't think of any other time I'd prefer my football to be of the American variety though.

    Having said that, I like the New England Patriots because Peter Griffin played for them.

    fGuyPeterRush09_22_72.jpg
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a few moments of unbridled violence interspersed with committee meetings; the embodiment of American life.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It rotates every decade or so. Right now it's still the Patriots.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    NFL is boring.
    Nothing happens for 90% of the game.

    :eek2: I can't believe my eyes!
    If this were true, everyone in America would prefer to watch soccer (your football).

    I'd have to say that the two teams with the largest fan base are probably the Patriots and the Colts.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    the mrs wrote: »
    If this were true, everyone in America would prefer to watch soccer (your football).

    No Americans like the NFL because with all the stops it allows them to go and get supplies from the firdge.

    In seriousness though, I respect the fact it takes skill and athleticism to play but for me the play stops too much, and I find the fact there seems to be as many managers as there are players a bit too much.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't mind the NFL, I was always a Packers armchair person, but it is clearly rugby union turned crap.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to clear up a few things.
    The lions were not the first winless team the bucs did that 0-14 the lions were first for an 0-16 record though.
    Americas team is whoever is the best team. The 80's was the 49ers The 90's was the Cowboys and Packers and 00 is the patriots. Me myself been a dolphins fan since I can remember and win or loose thats my team. Most americans only like winners.
    Must be a lot of non american postings here because they seen football and thought you meant soccor. lol
    The sport I watch the least is hockey and thats only because it is slightly more entertaining then soccer. Soccer is like nascar boring as hell but at least in nascar you might see a hell of a crash.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to clear up a few things.
    The lions were not the first winless team the bucs did that 0-14 the lions were first for an 0-16 record though.
    Americas team is whoever is the best team. The 80's was the 49ers The 90's was the Cowboys and Packers and 00 is the patriots. Me myself been a dolphins fan since I can remember and win or loose thats my team. Most americans only like winners.
    Must be a lot of non american postings here because they seen football and thought you meant soccor. lol
    The sport I watch the least is hockey and thats only because it is slightly more entertaining then soccer. Soccer is like nascar boring as hell but at least in nascar you might see a hell of a crash.

    At least our sports don't involve full kevlar body armour and stopping for a rest every 10 seconds.

    Most of the people on here are British as it's a British site.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At least our sports don't involve full kevlar body armour and stopping for a rest every 10 seconds.

    Most of the people on here are British as it's a British site.

    does that mean we cant like NFL? there are plenty of Brits who love and enjoy it, me being one of them.

    My 2nd fave sport after footy.

    and people who say its "rugby with armour" are clowns of the highest order
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    and people who say its "rugby with armour" are clowns of the highest order

    You're right. Rugby's a far better game.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We invented Football....therefore we get to call it Football, period. Call your NFL, soccer.
    In fact, why do you call it football? The real Football is played with the ball to the feet (hence Foot-Ball)...yours in mainly throwed and caught.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    people who say its "rugby with armour" are clowns of the highest order

    Apart from being able to throw the ball forwards, and not having to actually touch the ball down to score a 'touchdown', there's very little difference between rugby and American Football. Rugby league, in particular, is very very similar.

    American football is quite enjoyable once you get used to the constant timeouts, but it's almost a carbon copy of rugby with all the action bits taken out.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    The real Football is played with the ball to the feet (hence Foot-Ball)...yours in mainly throwed and caught.

    Rugby is called 'rugby football' technically, just as football is technically called 'association football'. Both rugby and American football have a lot of kicking involved, probably to a higher degree of skill than many association football matches.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    probably to a higher degree of skill than many association football matches.

    Absolute rubbish
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    z0ma wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish

    :yes:

    higher skill? Why?

    To say that top rugby players are moe skillfull than top football players is a nonsense statement.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd love to see a lot of top footballers manage to drop-kick a goal with a rugby ball from 35 yards. It's really hard. And that's before we even talk about the distance kicks in rugby, etc.

    It's unfair to compare the sports too much, they're totally different, and you need different skill sets. But I think it's harder to kick a rugby ball than it is to kick a football.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    But I think it's harder to kick a rugby ball than it is to kick a football.

    I think you'll find that rugy player are going to be better at kicking a rugby ball. And footballers are goign to be better at kicking a football. It's nonsense argument abiuyt skill because as you say they're two different skill sets.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is this thread not dead yet?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And a lot of people can say that football/soccer requires no talent... fuck I played it quite well for a decade, it can't be that tough :p

    I also played american football for 2 years and that was much more difficult. I cannot throw for shit :p

    Anybody can call any other countries passtime stupid and easy and pointless... so how big and cool are you for saying it? American football is in my family. My brother got a full uni scholarship and my dad played professionally. I grew up watching it at every level... as I said I even played it for a couple years, as said, in my mid-teens. That is why I enjoy it. I know plenty of people who could care less but they dont' get into such an assfunk about it. It is a sport... you can like it or you don't. You can say any sport is dumb and easy or boring but it is what you grow up with, what you find entertaining, what inspires you. There is no need to be such an outright dick regarding such things. I find golf to be boring, basketball to be stupid, bowling to be just downright retarded... but I don't knock those who like it because it is what they enjoy. An activity is an activity. Just another bashing... grow the fuck up.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'd love to see a lot of top footballers manage to drop-kick a goal with a rugby ball from 35 yards. It's really hard. And that's before we even talk about the distance kicks in rugby, etc.

    It's unfair to compare the sports too much, they're totally different, and you need different skill sets. But I think it's harder to kick a rugby ball than it is to kick a football.



    although I am a week late in noticing this thread. I want to point out how miss understood that arguement is.

    You cant say rugby players have more skill with their feet than footballers.

    Firstly, generally only one player in a team on 15 will drop-kick abilities (at least 8 would be absoultely clueless), where as you could argue that 10 or even all 11 footballers in a team are more than competant at passing, controlling, shooting and crossing a ball

    A drop kick is not a harder skill than pretty much anything that happens in football.

    Beckham could easily drop kick a rugby ball 35yards (in fact I can do it from 22 without practice), couldnt imagine Wilkinson whipping in any free kicks to the top corner.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    It is a sport... you can like it or you don't. You can say any sport is dumb and easy or boring but it is what you grow up with, what you find entertaining, what inspires you. There is no need to be such an outright dick regarding such things. I find golf to be boring, basketball to be stupid, bowling to be just downright retarded... but I don't knock those who like it because it is what they enjoy. An activity is an activity. Just another bashing... grow the fuck up.

    I don't find it entertaining because it stops all the fucking time.

    You like it. I don't. There you go.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am myself a Steelers fan.

    I find it quite funny the british attitude to American Football. Especially people that don't really know much about it.
    I have played American football since 1996. Before that I played rugby and football for my school and other local teams.
    I love playing American football because I have never played such a hard hitting sport. Nor have I played anything that requires both brains and brawn to be a good player. I know that American football is not for everyone but do not understand why people slag off a sport they have never played or don't fully understand.
    It is another sport that gives kids in the UK a chance of doing healthy exercise.
    But hey, we all have our own opinions on things :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    number95 wrote: »
    I love playing American football because I have never played such a hard hitting sport.

    Hard hitting with armour, more like! Try playing against a Springbok or All Black. Then you'll know what 'hard hitting' was REALLY all about. ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.