Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best camera for Portraits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I'm looking for a new camera.

I'm a portrait photographer more than anything but also I am devoted to Cannon. However in my research I have found most people recommend a Nikon, and as much as it would pain me, if I must change I will.

I have had so many problems with my Cannon 450D and have herd that it seems to be a bit of a trend amongst cannons and the only one that seems to have over come that would be the 50D and I just don't have that kinda cash.

So if you guys could let me know the best one for capturing people it would be most appreciated, I have grown to love the colour quality of a Nikon so I'm kinda warming to the idea, however I still hate the try hard noise of the shutter :P.

Comments

• Options
    You haven't said what the problems with your 450 have been?
    If you can't afford the 50d, what about the 40d, which is an upgrade from your current camera, but not so expensive. Staying would at least allow you to keep your lenses and accessories.
  • Options
    Have you considered a used 5D? Great full frame camera with a bit more than a 50D in terms of professional features I believe. The 50D is a great camera, but I don't think it would warrant the upgrade depending on what your issues are.

Something like a Hassleblad would be the best, but that is silly money. Nikons are good, but not better, just different. I personally go Cannon due the better lens availability.
  • Options
    ScreenName wrote: »
    Have you considered a used 5D? Great full frame camera with a bit more than a 50D in terms of professional features I believe. The 50D is a great camera, but I don't think it would warrant the upgrade depending on what your issues are.

Something like a Hassleblad would be the best, but that is silly money. Nikons are good, but not better, just different. I personally go Cannon due the better lens availability.

I'd be interested to know what the Canon problems were. I've had my 400D for over 2 years now and it's still working perfectly. Most of the people on my BTEC photography course including the lecturer also used Canons without any problems.

I really want a 500D at the mo, I'd prefer a 5D but I aint ever gonna have that kind of cash lying around lol.
  • Options
    check out http://photography-on-the.net/forum/. Great forum for canon owners, and an active classifieds. I never had any problems at all with my 30d, and all the people I knew with 1ds and 5ds seem to be similarly problem free. I know that Nikons are known for handling the red color spectrum a little better, but other than that, I personally prefer canons