Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

British Gas bill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all,

This years been my first year where i've been in charge of bills and what not.

Anyway so this year in my house of 4 we had a fixed bill of £69 a month for gas and electric.

Now i've just closed the account, as i've moved out the house and it seems that my final bill is £255 for gas and electric. Hows that happened?

This was abit of a shock as i thought £69 a month was already alot so i thought(stupidly) that they would owe us money!

I'm getting alot of hassle off the housemates, who as usual are blaming me for all this :yeees:.

So does that final bill seem abit much or does it sound about right for British Gas?

Comments

• Options
    Did you take meter readings?
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Hey all,

This years been my first year where i've been in charge of bills and what not.

Anyway so this year in my house of 4 we had a fixed bill of £69 a month for gas and electric.

Now i've just closed the account, as i've moved out the house and it seems that my final bill is £255 for gas and electric. Hows that happened?

This was abit of a shock as i thought £69 a month was already alot so i thought(stupidly) that they would owe us money!

I'm getting alot of hassle off the housemates, who as usual are blaming me for all this :yeees:.

So does that final bill seem abit much or does it sound about right for British Gas?

To be honest, £69 a month for both gas and electricity for a house of four seems a bit cheap to me.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Did you take meter readings?

Well they asked for a meter reading when we left the house.
  • Options
    Look at the bill and check that they're charging you for the readings you gave them when you left. If so, then it's correct and you've just been underpaying a fixed amount for a while. It doesn't seem extortionate.
  • Options
    Look at the bill and check that they're charging you for the readings you gave them when you left. If so, then it's correct and you've just been underpaying a fixed amount for a while. It doesn't seem extortionate.

:thumb:
  • Options
    only thing that could be dodgy is if you'd had the meter changed from imperial to metric readings and BG hadn't worked that out at their end. With the figures you've quoted though, it's not likely.
  • Options

Yeah, i kind of thought that. Just needed some other people to clarify that!
  • Options
    Thanks btw! :)
  • Options
    Nay worries dude. On the upside, they're not asking you to pay interest on the amount you underpaid by.
  • Options
    Well its not too bad i guess, comes to about £63 each. I can live with that, just a pain in the arse with the housemates. Seem to think its a) my fault, b) too expensive and c) i have to somehow magically fix it. Wankers :p
  • Options
    Wankers :p

Yes they are.

Tell them "Welcome to the real world". Twats.
  • Options
    Were you checking your bills against actual readings?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Were you checking your bills against actual readings?

Yep, its all been done against the readings i gave them.
  • Options
    Yep, its all been done against the readings i gave them.

I mean previous bills.
  • Options
    just a pain in the arse with the housemates. Seem to think its a) my fault, b) too expensive and c) i have to somehow magically fix it.

Sounds about right for university students :(