Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jenson Button

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
It would be great to have two different British champions in two years. Do you think Jenson has what it takes to maintain his form for the whole season? Or do you think once other manufacturers start to 'catch up' to Brawn, he will start slipping down the rankings??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I bet Hamilton is really getting pissed off he didnt win the championship in his first year, then he would have had at least 2. I think he is started to appear past it!
    I think Hamilton is still a good driver and definitely has the ability to win another championship if not more. He's always shown though that he is prone to a mistake when under pressure. I think the pressure of another Brit leading the championship led to the mistake yesterday in qualifying. If he didn't make that mistake, I personally think he would have had a good chance today. He did look very disappointed with himself and didn't take his helmet off when he got out the car...for all we know, he could still be wearing it..haha. :yes:

610x.jpg
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I, personally, don't like Hamilton. I find him arrogant. But he *is* a good driver. What is letting him down this year is not his skill but the car.
    I think that a lot of people mistake self-belief for arrogance, but that's a big can o' worms I don't want to open ;)

As for Button, I've always rated him, and I'm so thrilled that he has a car worthy of his talent this year! I'm a huge McLaren fan so to see them suffer so much is painful :( but the Brawn story is pretty cool.

I think that Jenson has what it takes, even when the inevitable pressure comes. Red Bull should be strong in Turkey now they have the double diffuser, and supposedly McLaren are on track to sort out their problems soon. Ferrari are also showing improved pace.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Eddish wrote: »
    I think that a lot of people mistake self-belief for arrogance, but that's a big can o' worms I don't want to open ;)

As for Button, I've always rated him, and I'm so thrilled that he has a car worthy of his talent this year! I'm a huge McLaren fan so to see them suffer so much is painful :( but the Brawn story is pretty cool.

I think that Jenson has what it takes, even when the inevitable pressure comes. Red Bull should be strong in Turkey now they have the double diffuser, and supposedly McLaren are on track to sort out their problems soon. Ferrari are also showing improved pace.

Agree with all that.

I rate Hamilton. He's somewhat arrogant, but you don't get to be an F1 driver by thinking your not one of the best drivers in the world. He's a genuine bloke tho, there's no doubt about it - no other driver in F1 bigs up his team as much as Lewis and theres no doubt he's an entertaining driver - whic is what it's all about.

Supported him throughout last year, but now I`m well behind Brawn. I love the idea of a driver who didn't even know he had a car to drive, all of a sudden having a car to match his talent and contest the championship.
    Weekender Offender 
    MrG wrote: »
    I bet Hamilton is really getting pissed off he didnt win the championship in his first year, then he would have had at least 2. I think he is started to appear past it!

Yes you're probably correct. In that case it may also be likely that the other two world champions, Raikkonen and Alonso, are also past it- it would be nothing to do with the pace of the current car and the recent rule changes.

Yes. I agree I am glad he can finally answer his critics and I look forward to seeing how he handles more of challenge from his rivals when they start to equal the pace of the Brawns. So far he's doing a stellar job!
    As long as he doesnt do what hamilton did in his first season and chicken out towards the end of the season, then he will be fine.
    I would contest that a succession of bad strategy calls and car failure qualifies as 'chickening out'
    I would contest that a succession of bad strategy calls and car failure qualifies as 'chickening out'

They lost the momentum from the earlier part of the Season. Yes bad strategy calls, what happens if Louis had stuck to his guns and gone with what he thought was right, ie he chickened out :P
    Skive wrote: »
    He's a genuine bloke tho, there's no doubt about it

Nah, he's a hypocritical liar IMHO. He reckons he's British but buggers off to Switzerland the second he has two bob to rub together, and then has the gall to blame his "fame" for having to move there.

Most F1 drivers piss off to Lausanne when they have a bit of money, to be fair, but most are honest about their reasons. Button and Coulthard both live in Monaco 'cause it's tax efficient for them to do so.

Button has always had the raw talent, ever since he started at Williams, but he's made some very bad choices in his career. Him dumping Williams for Honda, twice, pissed off most of the paddock and he was dumped by Renault too because of contractual issues- he was replaced by Alonso there.

I don't think Hamilton gives a toss that it's another Brit leading the championship, he just knew that Monaco was pretty much his only chance of getting a decent result this year. The car just can't go through fast corners, Monaco doesn't have any fast corners, and he had to qualify high. He didn't.

He did make a couple of pretty big mistakes in that season also. That could have been down to him being a rookie. He does seem a bit gung-ho at times. I suppose that could be what makes him a good driver. He's got a different racing style to Jenson. Jenson will keep going round the track at a steady pace. Hamilton will be faster than anyone, spin off, be faster than anyone, but it works for him.
    Hamilton's only young, I think people forget that sometimes. Senna didn't win his first title until he was 28 and has spent the previous three years driving that shed of a Lotus either to a race victory or to a big smash. Prost didn't win his first until he was 30.

As Hamilton gets older he'll make fewer mistakes.

As for Button going at a 'steady pace'- what? He's usually been fast, just nobody notices because he's driven nothing but sheds ever since he left Williams at the end of his first season.
    Kermit wrote: »
    As for Button going at a 'steady pace'- what? He's usually been fast, just nobody notices because he's driven nothing but sheds ever since he left Williams at the end of his first season.

Steady was the wrong word. Consistent is better. :)

I do forget about Hamilton's age at times. That's easily done because he is very talented for his age.

I also wished Ron Dennis could have stayed at McLaren for a few more seasons, as he seemed to get the best out of him, but his departure is a different matter.

This season may benefit Hamilton. Being down the grid a little where more knocks and scrapes seem to happen, may teach him a few lessons on how to avoid such accidents. Hopefully next season he will have a more balanced car and will be back at the top. I hope McLaren do what Honda/Brawn did and forget this season and concentrate their efforts on next season's car.
    Ron Dennis always chose a favourite in his team and indulged their every whim, doing nothing for the other driver. Coulthard spoke not so long ago about how, in team meetings, Dennis would sit down with Hakkinen and completely ignore the needs of Coulthard, even talking about "us" (Hakkinen) and "you" (Coulthard). Prost had the same arguments with McLaren, which is why he left after winning the 1989 title, and Alonso said the same too. Brundle also complained about it, but nobody listened because of how bloody awful McLaren were in 1994.

It goes a long way to explaining why the "second" driver at McLaren always seems to struggle.

The best driver in F1 at the minute is Alonso, but it's a good time to watch F1 because there are so many good drivers. I love Vettel and, with Adrian Newey designing the Red Bull, I think he will be world champion next year.
    I love Vettel and, with Adrian Newey designing the Red Bull, I think he will be world champion next year.

He's a definite future world champion. Being German, he will always be compared to Schumacher. I can't see that being a problem. I personally loved watching Schumacher drive and if Vettel drives like him, I won't have any complaints.

There's probably more good drivers now than there's ever been in F1 at any one time. Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Button, Raikkonen, Barrichello..maybe more...all capable of winning the world title with the right car. The future's bright!
    Nah, he's a hypocritical liar IMHO. He reckons he's British but buggers off to Switzerland the second he has two bob to rub together, and then has the gall to blame his "fame" for having to move there.

Most F1 drivers piss off to Lausanne when they have a bit of money, to be fair, but most are honest about their reasons. Button and Coulthard both live in Monaco 'cause it's tax efficient for them to do so.

To be fair I'd do the same so I don't have a serious complaint about that.

People call him arrogant, but I don't see it. For instance he immediately held his hands up to the accident in Q2 and apologised to the team - as he has done on other occasions.
    Button has always had the raw talent

As do the majority of drivers in F1.
    I don't think Hamilton gives a toss that it's another Brit leading the championship

And I don't see why he should, although immediately following the race he said ,

"Jenson and the Brawn team are doing a fantastic job this year. Clearly he is in the best position to win the Championship. All the best to him. I'd definitely put my money on him."
    Weekender Offender 
    Mr Maypoo wrote: »
    He did make a couple of pretty big mistakes in that season also. That could have been down to him being a rookie. He does seem a bit gung-ho at times. I suppose that could be what makes him a good driver. He's got a different racing style to Jenson. Jenson will keep going round the track at a steady pace. Hamilton will be faster than anyone, spin off, be faster than anyone, but it works for him.

:yes:

Hamiltons quite agressive, but then because of that more prone to making mistakes. I think that makes him one of the most entertaining drivers though. He and Alonso are the two drivers your most likely see overtaking.

Jenson driving style is smooth, he keeps out of trouble and that's why he's fast.
    Weekender Offender 
    :yes:

Hamiltons quite agressive, but then because of that more prone to making mistakes. I think that makes him one of the most entertaining drivers though. He and Alonso are the two drivers your most likely see overtaking.

Jenson driving style is smooth, he keeps out of trouble and that's why he's fast.

Thanks. You said it better than I could. :) :banghead:
    I haven't followed F1 this year, so does someone wanna tell me Why Button's Team is doing so good this season and the ones that normally do well aren't?

BTW what do yo all think of this?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2009/06/debate-what-do-you-think-of-prospects-of-a-rival-f1-championship.html

I think it's well overdue Bernie and friends lost their control over F1
    I don't care what anybody says. Jenson Button IS Chris Martin.
    DG wrote: »
    I haven't followed F1 this year, so does someone wanna tell me Why Button's Team is doing so good this season and the ones that normally do well aren't?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2009/06/debate-what-do-you-think-of-prospects-of-a-rival-f1-championship.html

Something to do with the cars I think, I don't really follow it either.
    DG wrote: »

Last year, Honda were shite. So they ditched any efforts to improve it as the car was so fundamentally wrong, and started early - much earlier than anybody else - on the new car.

Estimates are that around $400 million was spent, and they had 4 wind tunnels running around the clock. If those estimates are correct (or anywhere close) then it puts the BGP001 at the most expensive, most developed F1 car of all time.

Their rivals (i.e. Ferrari and McLaren) fought down to the last race, developing cars based around an aero concept that would soon become history, and as such had a lot fewer resources to dedicate to the 2009 cars.
    To be fair I'd do the same so I don't have a serious complaint about that.

People call him arrogant, but I don't see it. For instance he immediately held his hands up to the accident in Q2 and apologised to the team - as he has done on other occasions.

As do the majority of drivers in F1.

And I don't see why he should, although immediately following the race he said ,

"Jenson and the Brawn team are doing a fantastic job this year. Clearly he is in the best position to win the Championship. All the best to him. I'd definitely put my money on him."

:thumb: I agree.

This season just shows once again that whoever has the best car wins races, its pretty shit tbh!
    All the drivers in F1 are good drivers, they wouldn't be there earning that amount of money if they were shit! Hamilton hasn't become a bad driver overnight yet the season after he wins the title he struggles to get in the top 10.
    Lost a bit of interest this year, would like to see all the drivers in the same car, then you'd see who the best drivers were.... I think Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso would come out on top!
    I always felt bad for Jenson over the past few seasons. Obvious talent, but bad luck, bad cars. Great to see him in a good car. Also team wise, while its somewhat sad for Barrichello, he made is choice years ago and now is apparently past his window.

How about Webber though. Staying under the radar, but really doing great. Not a Britt, but close enough.
    ScreenName wrote: »
    Staying under the radar, but really doing great. Not a Britt, but close enough.

British people should supporting Aussies is not the done thing. You should aviod it. They're heads are big enough already.
    Weekender Offender