Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

why the fuck do people do this?!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    what car u got Simba?

This is my bad boy, vroom vroom! ;)

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/chevrolet/metro/100012650/specs.html

Gets better gas mileage than the specs say though.

Though compared to my first car it is a speed demon :p
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/1995/geo/metro/5640/specs.html
    Kermit wrote: »
    Because most drivers in this country are inbred fucktards who deserve to be taken out and shot in the kneecaps.

Quite right good sir.
    Melian wrote: »
    Some people feel unsafe doing high speeds. When my mum started driving, she didn't drive that fast because of her confidence.

Speed limits aren't just there to stop people going too fast, they're there to indicate the ideal speed for that road.

IMO if you're not confident enough to drive AT the speed limit (assuming a clear day, dry road conditions, etc) then you shouldn't have a license.
    Eddish wrote: »
    Speed limits aren't just there to stop people going too fast, they're there to indicate the ideal speed for that road.

IMO if you're not confident enough to drive AT the speed limit (assuming a clear day, dry road conditions, etc) then you shouldn't have a license.

I'm not sure that's always true. There's a very bendy very narrow road near me with a speed 'limit' of 60mph.

I failed one of my driving tests for going 'too fast' as I was travelling at 25mph in a 30mph area. It all comes down to the situation.

Yes, if you're on a clear dual carriageway with no restrictions there is no real reason to be sat at 50 just because it's worrying going faster, but I think a lot of the time you do get faster with experience especially going round bendy country roads, I still travel at a tame 40mph but some people who either are very experienced or very stupid :p go round at 60mph fine. I guess it's their car that gets written off when they go round the corner and there's a tractor in the way though :p

On motorways and on urban roads, maybe, but certainly not on country roads.

Until about 18 months ago most of the villages in Cumbria were still set at national speed limit, but anyone who did 60 through them deserved to be done for dangerous driving.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's always true. There's a very bendy very narrow road near me with a speed 'limit' of 60mph.

I failed one of my driving tests for going 'too fast' as I was travelling at 25mph in a 30mph area. It all comes down to the situation.

Yes, if you're on a clear dual carriageway with no restrictions there is no real reason to be sat at 50 just because it's worrying going faster, but I think a lot of the time you do get faster with experience especially going round bendy country roads, I still travel at a tame 40mph but some people who either are very experienced or very stupid :p go round at 60mph fine. I guess it's their car that gets written off when they go round the corner and there's a tractor in the way though :p

Is it a 60MPH sign?
    Or a national speed limit sign?

If national speed limit, then driver discretion does apply. If it's a 60MPH sign, then you should be able to do 60MPH on that road (IRC, certain roads may actually be driven by police to ascertain a safe speed)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Speed limits aren't a recomended speed Eddish.

Plenty of country roads are set at 60 where 60 is far too fast.

Likewise doign 70 on a busy motorway in the rain is far more dangerous than doing 100 on a empty motorway in dry clear conditions
    Weekender Offender 

If national speed limit, then driver discretion does apply. If it's a 60MPH sign, then you should be able to do 60MPH on that road (IRC, certain roads may actually be driven by police to ascertain a safe speed)

:lol: :no: :no: :no:
    Speed limits aren't a recomended speed Eddish.

Plenty of country roads are set at 60 where 60 is far too fast.

Likewise doign 70 on a busy motorway in the rain is far more dangerous than doing 100 on a empty motorway in dry clear conditions

This ^^^ is correct.
    Is it a 60MPH sign?
    Or a national speed limit sign?

Dunno where you got that from.

The speed limit is a guide of the judged maximum safe obtainable speed for straight, clear, sections of a particular road. It does not mean that it is automatically safe to wang a car around a bend at 60. Highway code rule 125 if you look it up.
    Eh, fine I was being too simplistic. "Recommended speed" is perhaps the wrong phrase.

I'm not saying if a sign says X you must drive at that speed, but that for the majority of that road unless otherwise stated, that speed is safe, assuming all other road conditions are good (i.e. dry road, clear visibility, etc)

That being said, if a road is safe to drive at 60MPH and somebody is doing 30MPH on a clear day, that in itself is dangerous. Hence my use of 'recommended'.
    As my driving instructor said, when setting off, you should accelerate UP TO but not above the given speed limit for a particular road.

If there is a sharp bend or whatever where it is deemed you should slow down or take caution, the appropriate sign will be given. i.e. the warning for sharp bends, or even a change in speed limit for that part of the road (near me there is an S-bend and the limit is altered to 40MPH for it)

People shouldn't drive too slowly if the road conditions don't call for it, and if they aren't confident at speed, shouldn't be on the road.

I don't know where I got the thing about roads being driven to ascertain a safe speed, I heard it a long time ago but not sure where, just something that stuck in my head.

At the end of the day, driver discretion applies, but there's no excuse for driving drastically under the signposted limits unless road conditions are adverse.

I shall try to be more precise in future postings on this matter, rather than assuming that people understand there are other warning signs to be taken into consideration, other than purely a speed limit sign ;)
    .. and this is why I dont want to drive ever!
    .. and this is why I dont want to drive ever!

its fantastic though, you can go and get a takeaway all the time
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    its fantastic though, you can go and get a takeaway all the time

I can walk to the takeaway and hopefully walk off excess pounds :p
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That you'll gain back by eating the takeaway. :p
    (Not a dig, I do that too)
    That you'll gain back by eating the takeaway. :p
    (Not a dig, I do that too)

this happened yesterday but involving ice cream.. heh
    this happened yesterday but involving ice cream.. heh

Ooo me too! But not the walking part. :p
    1 scoop chocolate peanut butter, 1 scoop cookie dough. :drool:

Get a car, grab a takeaway, then come and see me to burn off the excess pounds. Sorted! :thumb: :love::naughty:
    oh yes, I feel for you man, and even more a-noying, not indicating at all, wats all that about?, and while we are on the subject, entering a roundabout without looking right to see if any other f****** may just be using it at the time!!