Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your Car your MPG

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lots of car threads so lets keep it going, whats your car n your avg mpg if you know it? I am very precise about mine and my Avg for my 1L yaris is 45.2mpg - 47.7mpg - this is for day to day which is 5-6miles there n back to work with a 60mph zone down a long straight hill so i boot it sometimes :D

yous?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Current car - I did a long weekend away, cruising around and I got 41.5mpg. I normally get around 34.

My last car averaged 24-25mpg, but dropped to around 16 in town.
    g_angel wrote: »
    Current car - I did a long weekend away, cruising around and I got 41.5mpg. I normally get around 34.

My last car averaged 24-25mpg, but dropped to around 16 in town.

well spill what cars?

On a cruize/long distance drive from Ardrossan, North Ayrshire to Aberdeen mine went up to 70ish MPG, i love my yaris £20 at £1.13p per litre last 2weeks for me easy, sometimes 3 :)
    Golf mk5 1.6 FSI
    ~30-40mpg very conservative motorway driving
    20-25mpg normal town driving
    15-19mpg town driving in a hurry...

i'm far from impressed with the mpg my car gets :(
    I don't actually count it myself, but the spec says 36. I'm quite into my fast accelarating though.
    bout 25mpg on a good run if im lucky, 10-15mpg on a town runabout trip.

not good.

have had up to 35mpg tho on a good motorway stretch.

petrol is too expensive
    2000 2544cc Mondeo V6, 107k and healthy.

Day to day driving - 2 cold starts, with a 9 mile journey one way, and 11 the other, with mixed roads - some NSL 'A' roads, but plenty of 30mph limits and traffic lights, including lots of town work on the return journey, I always see 29.5-31.5mpg over 800+ miles. Worst was enjoying the "noise" and poke, with the A/C on as cold as it would go, and I still got better than 27.5mpg.

On a run, 38mpg easily. 40mpg+ when paying attention. Averaged 40.8mpg on a 60 mile 'A' road run a few months back.

ETA - this is from the fuel computer. I measured it once against real-world calculations - the computer said 28.6mpg, my calculations made 28.64mpg, so it's spot-on.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    well spill what cars?

Previous - Nissan 350Z. Wicked car. Some 'regrets' about selling it. In fact, about the only thing I do 'regret'. I got an amazing apartment out of it though, although I don't live in in, and life is too short for proper regrets.
    Current - Fiat Panda 100HP. Perfect car for the City, and it's a riot when you give it some. I only drive a few miles a week at the moment - sometimes picking my lady up from her earlier shifts in the clubs, or doing the shopping. I walk to work, and we take the odd drive on a weekend. Those are about the only times it gets used at the moment. I don't owe anything on it, so it's a nice convenience.
    I have a 05 VW Passat. Do quite a bit of mileage (Has 140k on the clock) and when checking the onboard display I average about 48 - 50 MPG per tank
    Before that I had an L200 which if I was lucky did about 18-22 MPG.
    low tyre pressure really burns petrol so worth checking your tyres

also I found with my own car the more expensive petrol that used to cost 5% more used to give me about 10% more MPG - although I think the price difference is more then 5% these days - have to check ...
    I've never seen any difference from using "premium" fuels apart from the Scoob - which made slightly more power. To be honest, it is quite easy to argue that you're unlikely to find any difference unless your ECU is capable of monitoring for knock, and adjusting the timing to allow the extra power available to be extracted from the fuel. If it can't, then the timing will be the same as for 95RON, and it'll make virtually the same power as it.

The detergents and additives may make other differences, but they'll do little to your economy IMO.

Diesels aren't included in the above. :)
    Previous - Nissan 350Z.

this is what im gonna go to next after my MR2 Roadster i think, interested to hear you say it was a decent car, people i've spoke to who have driven them say they are a bit wishy washy on the acceleration. Certainly a nice looking car tho. Probably one of these or a RX8 next. Having said that, i think i'll be hard pushed to recreate the fun i can have in my roadster, love it to bits.
    Toyota Aygo. Spec reckons over 60mpg but they lie; it's only possible by driving at 55mph on motorways. I normally get about 45-50mpg out of it, with a combination of rush hour urban driving and motorway driving, depending on how much I welly it on the A1.
    this is what im gonna go to next after my MR2 Roadster i think, interested to hear you say it was a decent car, people i've spoke to who have driven them say they are a bit wishy washy on the acceleration.

?! The thing with the 350Z is because it's got a big lump in it, and a relatively flat torque curve, you don't get any step-ups (like a V-Tec). You're going a lot faster than you think you are...! ;) 5 and a bit to 62 definitely isn't slow, and I had this speed confirmed :D I also confirmed there was a speed limiter at 155mph when on my private test track in France....... ;)

Definitely give one a test drive. They're a lot quicker than an RX-8 (a lot less thirsty too) and superbly balanced. I don't think Evo magazine can be wrong having it at the very top of their Small Coupe's league for 4 years now, each iteration better than the last. ;)

Also, they cost roughly the same as a Micra to service ;) Bonus!
    I've got a 1.3 Ford KA and get somewhere in the region of 50mpg.

I usually do about 80% motorway driving, though. If I do more pootling round town it drops.
    50 billion
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    GoodFella wrote: »
    50 billion

Not quite that much

I have a 2002 VW Bora TDI PD Sport 150

~60mpg motorway
    ~45mpg combined
    ~37-39 in town
    ?! The thing with the 350Z is because it's got a big lump in it, and a relatively flat torque curve, you don't get any step-ups (like a V-Tec). You're going a lot faster than you think you are...! ;) 5 and a bit to 62 definitely isn't slow, and I had this speed confirmed :D I also confirmed there was a speed limiter at 155mph when on my private test track in France....... ;)

Definitely give one a test drive. They're a lot quicker than an RX-8 (a lot less thirsty too) and superbly balanced. I don't think Evo magazine can be wrong having it at the very top of their Small Coupe's league for 4 years now, each iteration better than the last. ;)

Also, they cost roughly the same as a Micra to service ;) Bonus!

yeah mine does a similar sort of 0-60, but probably not as quick at the top end, altho i've never pushed it that far.

i would have got a RX-8 instead of my MR2 if it wasnt so bloody thirsty.

Just had a quick look on evo reviews, 4 and half stars aint bad (mine is 5 stars :P)

decent cars tho, will deffo test drive before i purchase, prob wont be for another 12 months anyway
    yeah mine does a similar sort of 0-60, but probably not as quick at the top end, altho i've never pushed it that far.

i would have got a RX-8 instead of my MR2 if it wasnt so bloody thirsty.

Just had a quick look on evo reviews, 4 and half stars aint bad (mine is 5 stars :P)

decent cars tho, will deffo test drive before i purchase, prob wont be for another 12 months anyway

Aye, it's waaaay faster at the top end. 0-100 time is around 13 seconds, that's where the bigger power really kicks in as the drag starts to take it's toll.

Which MR2 have you got? The Turbo gets around the 6 seconds to 60, but the standard one is way off. Assume it's the turbo :)

It's easily the best car I've owned.
    aye its a turbo, lose a little bit of speed as its got some bigass wheels on it.

love it tho, its great when you get down some curvy roads with the top down.

its had some bracing done on the chassis as well to imprvove handling.

I've heard it probably tops out at about 150mph mark, but i've only been as fast as 120 and was still pulling before i backed off.
    I have a vw polo 53 plate 1.4 tdi sport, which the book reckons can do 75mpg. I usually get an average on about 55-60mpg with a mix of town and motorway driving.

I've heard it probably tops out at about 150mph mark, but i've only been as fast as 120 and was still pulling before i backed off.

On your private test track, of course ;)
    We have a BMW 118i which is apparently meant to obtain about 49MPG combined, but which on my average MPG reading is current about 37 I think.

It seems quite common that the newer cars are advertising high MPG that are unachievable compared to when they used to be lower.
    BMW 320cd

Trip computer says I get average 45-ish MPG.
    I drive 950 miles a week and the 'spiritedness' of my driving really depends on how late I am for work or how impatient I'm feeling.

I did a few weeks of 'economical' driving and bumped it up nearer 50MPG, and did get a lot of additional miles, but it certainly added a fair chunk of time spent in the car over a week.

Published MPG and emissions are stupid. They take a reading from a very specific operational range / power band of an engine, and often modern cars are specifically designed to give the lowest emissions at that particular point.

If you accelerate 0-60 in 25 seconds, you'll hit the manufacturer targets. But if you're in a hurry or just drive safely (i.e. not going too slowly for the traffic around you) then in most cases its very difficult.
    Fiat Punto 2000 1.2i V-Reg

Mostly bettwen 40mls/g and 49mls/g. Lowest 25mls/g.

Ford Fiesta 2004 1.24i 16v

I can't really comment on this car as I have only had it for about 6-7 weeks.
    I've had one at 37mls/g. One at 38mls/g and one at 46mls/g

I do try to drive more efficiently but failed to stay at 60mph on the dual carriageway/motorway.

*mls/g = Miles to the gallon

My dads Fiesta (newer than mine!) is better on fuel, he gets 400mls/g but his is a diesal.
    206 XSi 1.6 16v - I get 45MPG on average.
    I don't like this thread, I have the best mileage out of all the cars I know except my dads but now it seems like nothing :p
    I can never work this out because petrol is sold in litres not gallons!!!
    kangoo wrote: »

My car tells me, otherwise I wouldn't be able to either :p
    kangoo wrote: »

4.54 litres per gallon.

So, if you've done 225 miles, and you've used 29 litres of fuel, the formula is:

225 / 29 x 4.54 = 35.22mpg
    Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, approximately 40-50mpg on average.