Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I've got a very sore jaw...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I woke up this morning and it really hurts to chew and to open my mouth wide.

Do you think its likely that i spent the whole night grinding my teeth or could there be another cause...

and what can i do to release some of the tension in my jaw muscles?

thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you a smoker? Smoking is one cause of teeth-grinding.
    not really, i have one a day atm....
    Teeth clenching or grinding at night is a common cause of jaw ache, that said also happens at day time.

As for what you can do, I have a feeling there's some kind of gentle strecthing type thing you can do along the same lines as other muscle ache but can't for the life of me remember what.
    stay away from em e's ;)
    Are you stressed at the moment? I know people who tend to clench their teeth over night when they are stressed.
    yes, very stressed...
    valium?
    yes, i'd love some please...

no i am not on any medication, apart from some antispadmodics I'm trying to stay away from any kind of pills, due to my reoccuring painkiller addiction...

my doctor may want to put me on something though, cos my fits are doing strange things
    Do you have wisdom teeth coming through?
    Well there's your reason then! Whats the root of the stress? Stopping the stress will stop the teeth grinding. It may also be you are clenching your jaw during the day without noticing - classic sign of stress.

yes, very stressed...
    yeah i do actually have wisdom teeth coming through...

how the hell do i "stop the stress"?
    Wisdom teeth coming through won't help. You often do things like chew funny because of them which in turn gives you jaw ache.

Lowering the stress overall is a tricky one, as I'm sure you know. As far as stopping your jaw aching because of it, if you find yourself clenching your teeth during the day, try chewing gum.
    i'm pretty certain that your are grinding your teeth and/or clenching your jaw

i grind my teeth and clench my jaw day and night because of anxiety problems.... at night i wear a stint - i saw my dentist, he took a mould of my teeth and had one made for me. it was quite expensive but well worth it if you are grinding your teeth.. you need your chompers!
    i'm pretty certain that your are grinding your teeth and/or clenching your jaw

i grind my teeth and clench my jaw day and night because of anxiety problems.... at night i wear a stint - i saw my dentist, he took a mould of my teeth and had one made for me. it was quite expensive but well worth it if you are grinding your teeth.. you need your chompers!

Hi guitargirl74,

Have you tried a mouth guard to avoid clenching your teeth? I have and I didn't spend too much on it either. My pain is gone and I feel great. How much was your stint from your dentist. My mouth guard was only around 5.95 from TotalGard.

~CK~