Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holiday whilst actively jobseeking on JSA.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there - I have a question that i'd like answered.

First off, I've only been on JSA for 3 weeks and I am actively looking for a job (for example, applied to work in every Bar/Hotel/Retail shop - twice, or in some cases 3 times).

Local newspapers have no valid jobs (or require some kind of experience), and jobsearch's whilst "signing on" have returned no results in any of the 3 specified areas above. The fact that it took me ages to get an interview locally (the guy on the jsa claim line hinted that it never usually takes as long as it did) points out the lull of employment in my area (FYI - I live in ryde, on the isle of wight).

I'm available to work any hours..and would prefer bar work, so i have some valid experience for when i move away from home to goto university (im 18 and have just finished a 2 year diploma at college) - but anything is better than JSA.

Anyhow, my problem is - when my nan died in august, she left me 500 pound in her will - and I want to use this to go on a short tour (preferably a month, or a little under) of eastern europe. Because I know if i just have it sitting in my bank-account, it'll get eaten away at, until i have nothing significant to show for it.

Knowing that at the moment I have to sign on every 2 weeks, and god-forbid im still looking for a job in Jan/Feb (when I intend to go) - Will i be able to take a break in my payments?

I understand how this is a sticky subject...why should i be holidaying on JSA...but i hope the above points, and the facts that my parents have been paying tax all their life (they are 60-/+ now) validate my claim.

Thanks in advance for any advice :wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The answer is no. You can't take 'holidays' off from Jobseekers - if you're claiming benefits and you are unable to make your signing on day, then your claim will be stopped.
    I was on JSA last year and my parents took me to Greece with them for a holiday (they paid!) - I had to sign off JSA and sign on again as soon as I got back - It was hell and I don't recommend it!
    No, you can't take holidays, and quite rightly too. You are being paid to look for work, not to go to Greece, and so there is little negotiation on what you can do. The fact that unemployment is high in your area (and it is, you're not just imagining it) is irrelevant.
    Perhaps putting the money you inherited into a seperate savings account would help you not to spend it.
    Heres hoping it wont take that long to get a job then...

I'm guessing that even if i get a job sometime in january, they have to accept my already planned holiday (unless its temp work?)
    Kermit wrote:
    No, you can't take holidays, and quite rightly too. You are being paid to look for work, not to go to Greece, and so there is little negotiation on what you can do. The fact that unemployment is high in your area (and it is, you're not just imagining it) is irrelevant.
    The OP wasn't wanting to claim whilst on holiday though, they were asking if you can stop for a couple of weeks and then re-start.

I know with Income Support (which I'm on) you can't go abroad for the first 22 weeks but the benefits adviser told me that people do, they just don't tell the DWP.
    I'm pretty sure you can continue claiming JSA whilst on holiday. I found this on a rights website:

Reg 19(1)(p) of the JSA Regs does allow for a claimant to be away from home (on holiday) for up to 14 days, on the basis that they allowed to be treated as actively seeking work, although they must still be available for work. However, JSA entitlement is still normally dependent on the claimant being in GB (sec 1(2)(i) Jobseekers Act 1995). Regulation 50 of the Jobseeker’s Allowance Regs does allow for some exceptions to this for varying numbers of weeks where someone is “temporally absent from GB. These are also summarised on page 639 of the current CPAG Handbook, but none of the exceptions are as "straightforward" as a claimant being on holiday.
    It bolocks if you cant.
    just go for a week and a half and dont tell the job centre.
    Yeah...but the problem is, I want to go away for a month.

I spose that is probably too much to ask...ahwell - i doubt it'll even come to this, in the next couple of days im going to ask my local pubs if i can do work experience at em...

Atleast that way i can put i do have barwork experience on my applications :\
    you might want to go away for a month, but if you want to still claim JSA then you wont be able to.
    I would just go for a week and a half like SCC says. That way you still get your holiday, still get your dole, adn still have time to look for a job.
    there is a holiday form.

i was moving house on the day i had to sign on and couldnt make it, so i had to fill in some holiday form and sign on at the next appointment for 4 weeks worth. this happened in september.

i dont know if you could do it for a month though. if youre lucky with appointment times, you could leave the day after you sign on and come back 26 days later to sign on the next day.
    You can go on holiday while on JSA. Ask to fill in a holiday form.
    I don't think the holiday forms nclude foreign holidays though - my JSA application got delayed because I spent 2 nights in sodding Dublin (the fact that I was up to date on all applications, had my mobile on me and could theoretically flown back early for an interview was considered irrelevant).
    They won't know you are abroad if you don't tell them.
    What about if you tell them you are considering working in Greece. I believe you have a right to travel and work freely within the EEA so to stop you travelling to Greece to look for work might infringe that right. Just a thought, if nothing else works :-)
    Hey there this a really old thread from 2006 so I'm going to close it now :)
This discussion has been closed.