Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help me please

A friend of mine is bi-polar and self harms regularly. I just recently found out about all of this and im finding it a little difficult to cope emotionally. He is my closest friend and when he is on a good spell he is the most wonderful human being. It really scares me how quick his mood changes. One minute he can be grinning from ear to ear, laughing and joking, then the next he can be really low and talks of how awful life is. I want to do all i can to help him and minimise his pain because he is trully wonderful. But I find it extremely hard to stay strong when he turns. There have been times when I have broken down in fits of tears, shaking like a leaf, all because he admits that he is down. i really love this guy because he has always bee supportive of me and has stuck by me through everything. Please! Someone! Anyone! Help me :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that he is very lucky to have some one so dedicated to helping him, and to be honest thats all you need to do. You cant save him or do anything for him but what you can do is be there for him. Dont allow his emotions to get you down however. If you find it hard to deal with something then let him know. Though just being there will be a big comfort to him. I suffer with moods and put the people around me through hell but it feels alot better knowing that there is someone there. I didnt realise this until I lost my support.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    As patience says, your friend is lucky to have such a supportive friend. It seems that this much empathy can have its downsides too, as his problems are now burdening you. Obviously you see that you might need a bit of support as well as him, so don't feel stupid about talking to people about your relationship to him and how it makes YOU feel.

There are lots of help and advice pages on the internet: this one compiles a number of different tips for helping someone with bipolar, and this ehow one could also be of some help (it has a list of resources at the bottom).

Good luck with this and of course, feel free to ask for more advice or post with more details of the situation.:)
  • Options
    thank you. i cant stress how much this guy means to me. his illness is not a burden however. i choose to help because he is someone i cant live without and it pains me to see him depressed.

your links have reall helped. thanks again
  • Options
    re

Hey NumbThroughFear,:)

Please feel free to let us know how you are getting on with your friend, what your doing is a courageous, mature and loyal thing but look after yourself also in the process of it all

take care:wave: