Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Salty tongue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few days ago I had a weird mouth thing going on, yellow residue on tongue, horrid taste and some soreness. I put it down to poor hygiene (I don't typically scrape or brush my tongue or use mouthwash - just a good old toothbrush) or some sort of bacterial imbalance in a similar way that ladies can get thrush.

Anyhoo, a day later it cleared up but I have been left with a salty sensation in my mouth all the time. This is only the third day it's been like this, but it's really quite horrid. If I am sucking on a sweet or drinking or whatever the taste goes away, but as soon as air touches my tongue the switch back to tasting salt is almost instant. I wondered if anyone had experience anything like this before and whether it's likely to clear up by itself or whether the doctor should have a look at it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ugh it's so horrid, I might just go to the doctor's anyway to get something to mask the taste of salt! You know when you were little and had a sore and your mum made your gargle warm saltwater that was horrid? Imagine having the taste of that saltwater in your mouth all the time!! :(

edit: phoned NHS direct but they said they're currently only dealing with urgent enquiries i.e. if you have flu like symptoms or want information about swine flu.
    Hello shyboy :wave:

That sounds horrible for you,we do have various sensations and tastes buds on our tongue, as you may already know, it could be that yours have enhanced and therefore the salty taste is present.
    Great idea to get it checked out with your doctor, as you said it is distasteful
    goodluck :). keep us posted to what it is
    I have had it but not for any reason i would imagine you having it ;) hehe
    Tweety wrote: »
    I have had it but not for any reason i would imagine you having it ;) hehe

lol someone posted something to that effect on my facebook wall this morning
    This seems to be clearing up by itself just in case anyone googles this problem in the future! Woke up this morning and it's still slightly salty but nowhere near the sickening saltiness it was yesterday. Hopefully it will continue to clear up so it's all gone soon :)
    And improve your oral hygiene too! Your teeth/gums/mouth are very important so don't overlook them. Brush twice a day, floss and mouthwash at least once. :D
    but flossing takes effort. and tongue scraping.

i do brush my teeth twice a day though for 2 minutes each time. (edit: except if I'm drunk in which case getting undressed for bed is an achievement)
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    lol someone posted something to that effect on my facebook wall this morning

Sorry couldnt resist
    it has got marginally worse through the day today, but still not as bad as yesterday, bit weird but hopefully seeing as it's better today (even if it's worse now than it was this morning) by tomorrow it might be better still
    Bad tongue can indicated problems with the tummy etc
    Have you brushed your tongue since you've had the saltiness? That would be my first suggestion. Also make sure, as Teagan says, you're brushing your gums (not hard, but enough to keep them bacteria-free) and flossing really isn't effort :/. I don't do it but that's because I'm lazy and that's exactly why my teeth are a shit hot mess.

If you brush your tongue (you really don't have to go far back enough to make yourself gag) and do a serious swish with mouthwash, and it's still there, I have no idea.
    Hey Franki, because the saltiness has been unpleasant I have been blitzing my mouth pretty much, everything short of bleach! Brushing after I eat or drink anything, mouthwash every couple of hours, etc. I will see how it gets on tomorrow though.
    it could be a yeast infection, go to a pharmasist and talk to them, theres a tablet you can take which should sort it out....
    Overcleaning could be making it worse, or at least keep it from getting better. Especially if you are using alcohol based mouthwash, it could be killing the good bacteria.
    but flossing takes effort. and tongue scraping.

So does wiping your ass after taking a shit. You still wanna do it though. Even if you floss once a week, its better than not flossing at all. Plus, you won't have a mouth that looks like a bag of spanners in a few years time. Not sexy. :)
    What about waking up and brushing your teeth to solve the problem :p
    Overcleaning could be making it worse, or at least keep it from getting better. Especially if you are using alcohol based mouthwash, it could be killing the good bacteria.

Forgot about this thread, after reading Simba's post I stopped using the mouthwash for 2 days and it cleared up. Might have done that by itself if I had left it alone or it might have been this killing of the good bacteria, whatever it was...it's gone now!

Teagan, I might look into buying some floss next time I'm in a supermarket then. It just seems like something to do when you have nothing else to do, like moisturise your skin or something, but I guess it does have it's merits.
    Teagan, I might look into buying some floss next time I'm in a supermarket then. It just seems like something to do when you have nothing else to do, like moisturise your skin or something, but I guess it does have it's merits.

I recommend it. When you do get the opportunity to floss, take a sniff of the thread after you have flossed your teeth. I bet it smells gross (unless you have wide-gapped teeth whereby food trapped in the teeth is less likely). Well, that's the smell of decaying food etc and that's what the hot bird in the club gets a whiff of, when you lean forward to kiss her for the first time. Not pleasant. :no:
    Teagan wrote: »
    I recommend it. When you do get the opportunity to floss, take a sniff of the thread after you have flossed your teeth. I bet it smells gross (unless you have wide-gapped teeth whereby food trapped in the teeth is less likely). Well, that's the smell of decaying food etc and that's what the hot bird in the club gets a whiff of, when you lean forward to kiss her for the first time. Not pleasant. :no:

Or the beer... :razz:
    Forgot about this thread, after reading Simba's post I stopped using the mouthwash for 2 days and it cleared up. Might have done that by itself if I had left it alone or it might have been this killing of the good bacteria, whatever it was...it's gone now!

Oh my god. I think this is the first time I've been useful on the site!!! You are now my favorite poster ;)

Eons ago when I had my tongue pierced I overused the mouthwash and my tongue was constantly blue and had the apperance that it was peeling :yuck: so I just thunk it ;)