Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oh, sweet sweet embarrassment.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I think I have herpes on my hand.

No idea where it could have come from; I got an outbreak the first time about two years ago. It has happened four times since then, always at times when I'm at my most run-down and stressed. Start to feel a tingly sensation, followed by a horrible itch, and then a big blister comes up. The blister's mainly white, but I can see little clear bubbles in it; thought it was a bug that had laid eggs under my skin when I first saw it - yummy! The blister's very very sore to the touch and the skin around it is red, hot and slightly swollen.

A friend thought it could be shingles, so I went to the doctor who popped it with a pin, wiped the liquid off my hand, then said he didn't have a clue what it was and prescribed me antibiotics. Idiot.

Then when I described it to my GUM doctor as a passing comment (at a point where I didn't have it to show him) he said it was probably herpes.

I just don't know! Bit reluctant to go to the doctor as he was so monumentally useless last time, but I'd really like to have a definite diagnosis.... and hopefully treatment, if possible?

Does ANYBODY know what I've got on my hand?!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I wouldn't say it was shingles. It does sound like herpes...or the cold sore strain.
    Could you go and see anoher doctor? Only way u you'll get a diagnosis and treatment I'm afraid.
    Does sound like a variant of herpes which you can get on your hand (aka herpes whitlow). In terms of diagnosing it, a doc should be able to on the basis of your history and examining it. If the last doc wasn't up to scratch then it's worth seeing another as you stand a better chance of getting a diagnosis (as it's always possible that it could be something else).

If it is a herpes infection, then in the meantime do all the usual things to prevent the virus spreading i.e. don't touch your eyes/mouth/genitals with said hand, don't share towels, avoid putting contacts in if you're a lens wearer.
    Yuck. Well, thanks for the responses guys. Guess it's going to have to be another trip to the doctor! :yeees:
    Sounds like herpes, which you can get anywhere. My mates son has it in his eye !! Also the fact you say this occurs when you're 'run down and stressed' is another indication that it's herpes. Opportunist little shit that it is !

Fortunately as it's on your hand, you should be able to treat it with over the counter stuff, though if it's bad you can get a 5 day 5-a-day course of tablets.

Might be an idea to go to your GUM clinic as they seem to be more sypathetic and knowledgable than your GP to get a proper diagnosis, but you need to go when it's flared up, not when it's healed so they can test the scab/fluid for hepres.
    Rubberskin, you've said pretty much exactly what my doctor said yesterday!

Yes, it's herpes, no, there's not much I can do about it except try not to get stressed (I work in the domestic violence field - not much chance of that!)

She's given me the 5-day 5 times a day pills to take on the next flare-up, so for now it's just a case of waiting.

But now you've really freaked me out; my left eye has been turning red over the past couple of days and getting gunky - I never thought I'd say this but I hope it's conjunctivitis!
    I have nothing good to say except i feel for you it doesnt sound too plesent!