Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sleeping tablets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm undergoing treatment for Sleep Apnea and it involves wearing an CPAP oxygen mask when I sleep that looks like a fighter pilot's mask. Once I'm sleeping I'm usually ok but I tend to have trouble actually getting off.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for sleep tablets, I know he'll only prescribe what he thinks is best but does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't want diazepam as I've taken that in the past and I didn't like the way it made me feel. I've also tried Phernegan which gets me off easily enough but I feel groggy as hell in the morning, which defeats the object of the CPAP device.

Comments

• Options
    no, they generally arent good in the long run.
  • Options
    Try taking half a Nytol tablet. I find a whole one makes me groggy the next day but half of one just pushes me over into sleep. Alternatively, I have taken one Syndol which knocks me out without feeling too bad the next day.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Try taking half a Nytol tablet. I find a whole one makes me groggy the next day but half of one just pushes me over into sleep. Alternatively, I have taken one Syndol which knocks me out without feeling too bad the next day.

Half a nytol? Hardcore. For all the difference it will make I really wouldnt bother, but then having said that given its purely the placebo effect taking half a tic tac will do the same job if you believe it will.
  • Options
    I take 5mg Ambien (zolpidem) and I get on fine with them. Be warned that drs don't like giving out seds and be careful of dependency.
  • Options
    I take 5mg Ambien (zolpidem) and I get on fine with them. Be warned that drs don't like giving out seds and be careful of dependency.

That goes by the brand name of Stilnoct doesn't it? I didnt find that to work at all for me. Zopiclone which is related but different I find to be stronger and more effective but does give you a nasty taste in the mouth the next day.

P.S - perhaps I shouldn't have been quite so sarcastic in my previous post.
  • Options
    I'm undergoing treatment for Sleep Apnea and it involves wearing an CPAP oxygen mask when I sleep that looks like a fighter pilot's mask. Once I'm sleeping I'm usually ok but I tend to have trouble actually getting off.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for sleep tablets, I know he'll only prescribe what he thinks is best but does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't want diazepam as I've taken that in the past and I didn't like the way it made me feel. I've also tried Phernegan which gets me off easily enough but I feel groggy as hell in the morning, which defeats the object of the CPAP device.

Diaz is not a sleepr it's valium and you really don't want to become a valium addict ...far worse than crack or smack addiction.
    Nitrazpam are good (mogadon) and quite safe.
    If you have sleep apnea I pressume you are very over weight ...loose some and you should improve.
  • Options
    Overweight?! Cheeky fucker, 6ft and 13 stone mate.

Seem to be getting used to the apnea mask now anyway so sleepers aren't needed.
  • Options
    Don,t take it if it is neccesarry.