Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Negative People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you know someone that is sooooo negative all the time that you don't want to be around them because they either annoy you or bring you down as well?

Another example of being negative are people that tell you what you're thinking or how you WILL behave (i.e. in a negative manner) that you simply think, what the heck, if they think I'm going to behave that way I might as well since they've already prejudged me .. might as well live up to their expectation of me ..

For example someone has emailed me the other week saying . Oh I won't come down because I know if I do you won't have time to talk to me ...

Comments

• Options
    DG wrote: »
    Do you know someone that is sooooo negative all the time that you don't want to be around them because they either annoy you or bring you down as well?

Another example of being negative are people that tell you what you're thinking or how you WILL behave (i.e. in a negative manner) that you simply think, what the heck, if they think I'm going to behave that way I might as well since they've already prejudged me .. might as well live up to their expectation of me ..

For example someone has emailed me the other week saying . Oh I won't come down because I know if I do you won't have time to talk to me ...
    Yah i know a "A hole" like that, he is always negative about others decision and think that he is the only one who knows what is "right"!
  • Options
    I don't think that's negative. Negative is more in the sense of pessimistic. This is just patronizing, condescending and prejudging.
  • Options
    I know some of them who really think negative always and end up doing some stupid things for which they can never look back and regret
    i had a friend of mine who always thought in a negative way and one day because she scored less in her subjects she committed a suicide can you believe this ?
    yes i had to believe this she ended her life and never came back :(
  • Options
    I'm not sure this is negative behaviour but I have a friend who is in a tough spot (debt and confidence problems). The thing is, its him getting into these situations by gambling and not following through on some things. I've noticed hes kind of a drag to be around because he complains about his problems but nothing changes.
  • Options
    If somebody's company makes you unhappy and you have no immediate ties (like family, or being a carer) then don't talk to them.

You don't have to say "I'm not talking to you", just don't keep on Emailing them, or going on msn or meeting up.

At the end of the day, we are responsible for our own happiness, not the happiness of others. If in retaining our happiness, this sometimes means cutting negative people out, then so be it.

From the perspective of the negative person, they need to learn how their behaviour affects other people, so maybe it'll be a lesson for them.

Or tell them straight how you feel.

"I enjoy spending time with you more when you act positive. I understand you're having a tough time at the moment, but you said something to me the other day which made me feel bad."

See how they respond.
  • Options
    this aint being negative, its called playing a game!, I make Him feel guilty but making it sound as though I would love to come down but that he wont give me time, if He feels guilty my next request will definately get the thumbs up, putty in my hands!!