Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Beginners guide to getting fit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In need of some advice and guidance here dudes. basically im looking to improve my health and fitness. my diet isnt too bad really, so im just gonna start watching my portion sizes and eating less crisps (which are my downfall, not fussed about chocolate or sweets really). but its my fitness which is the biggie, i take absolutely NO exercise, and am really unfit, i get out of puff walking up the stairs ffs.

the summer is looming and as im a teacher i get the 6 weeks off. i can see myself just sitting on my backside eating unsuitable rubbish for 6 weeks and its gonna end badly. i did this one summer 2 years ago and ended up putting on a stone and got some stretchmarks on my thighs in the bargain. not good!

so basically im looking for some exercises i can do which require no or little money and because of my terrible fitness levels, arent too strenuous initially, but which i can build up. obviously im thinking about walking, but what else is there? i have a stepper gathering dust under my bed and several workout DVDs too.

ideas/advice greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Options
    no one? really? please guys, i would muchly appreciate advice :)
  • Options
    luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi paperdoll

That's great that you want to get fit over the summer - it sounds like very productive use of your 6 weeks off!

Summer's a great time too as the evenings are long and the nice weather acts as a great incentive to get outdoors.

Have you thought about taking up running? It's free, you get to see your local area and you'll find that you build up your distance surprisingly quickly.

I bought myself a pair of good running shoes at the weekend and it's really spurred me on to get active. Another good idea is to rope a friend into joining you - it's much easier to motivate yourself if there are two of you.

You could even sign up for a 10K run in the Autumn. By setting yourself a challenge such as this, it should really encourage you to keep fit over the whole summer.

This article on TheSite.org should give you some more tips on getting fit.

Good luck and let us know your progress - it would be great to hear how you're getting on :)

Becca
  • Options
    Swimming, good overall work out.
  • Options
    How about cycling? You can get a second hand bike for £30/£40 odd quid on Gumtree or in the Free Ads, you don't have to spend a fortune on a brand new one (unless you want to of course)...I'm planning to do that soon. My boyfriend bought a bike recently and has been riding to and from work and he said he's already noticed a difference to his fitness levels :)
  • Options
    I know walking might come across as boring, but it can be done anytime, anywhere,( more or less). I do a fair bit of walking, & although I'm in my healthy weight range, I find that walking really tones up thighs etc, whereas eating less won't do that. apparently skipping ( i know!) per minute, burns more calories than most other exercises!
  • Options
    You should do something that is fun to you. I would not go running, because I hate running. If you love inline skating and you need to do some errands just take them. Go with a friend from time to time and make the exercise fun and not a chore.