Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

bailiff questions - please help!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm desperate, somebody please give me some light!!! I do not want to pay £10 just to have a question answered (as some sites have implied would be the case)...
I'm graduating in a month, and have somehow managed to get myself a very minimum wage job (don't get me started on how worthless a degree is at the moment). So about £200 a week, tops. As this won't be enough to rent anywhere half decent, I am moving in with my boyfriend, which will cost me about £35 a week in rent.
Anyway, turns out he has lots of debts. I got sick of the deception and finally opened up some letters, which he's been ignoring. There is a final demand for payment from bailiff company Equita... it's apparently for an old parking fine. It doesn't state how much the debt is or what the "extra charges" added are, though!!! But it says they've tried to come around and nobody was in, so they're coming back.
My question is - if I move in with him, can they take my stuff??? It seems massively unfair that I might have to lose my laptop or other possessions because of HIS debt, and yet nobody seems to be able to tell me that this won't happen. I'd have to go out of my way to prove that I owned all of my own things, and I hardly kept receipts for every single DVD. So now I live in fear of every knock on the door. Surely this isn't fair... my mum says it's my fault for moving in with him, but if you take on tennants they shouldn't be liable for your debts, surely!?? I'm so scared and don't know what to do.... someone please let me know there's something I can do (and don't say move somewhere else, I can't afford anywhere else)...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A quick google search is all it took..

Taken from here
    Which Goods Can or Cannot be Seized?

Goods which can be seized - The bailiff can only seize goods which belong to the debtor. However, the bailiff can seize goods which are jointly owned even if the other joint owner is not the debtor. Goods which cannot be seized - Generally the bailiff cannot seize the following:

Goods which belong to another person.
    Fixtures and fittings.
    Goods on hire - purchase.
    Goods which are rented.
    Now where's my £10!? ;)
    Just to add, there's nothing stopping you moving some of your things out of the property if you're really worried. If you have anything valuable you might want to move it somewhere safe, such as with your parents, to prevent any problems later.