Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TB injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, well I had to have my TB injection about 2 months ago before I started my job. I did have the heaf test when I was at high school but in the end the nurses decided I didn't need my actual TB injection.

Anywhoo all record of this is lost in the depths of medical records never to be found again resulting in me having to have the the new mon two (sp?!) test. I had the tiniest reaction to this and she gave me my TB.

All was fine for a few days but since then it has been the ugliest lump think on my own, which I can only describe as looking like I have a third nipple on my upper arm. Not attractive in the slightest! It bloody hurts too like when you touch a bad bruise and the colour is awful and the lump is massive! It's also hotter than the rest of my skin, not massivly bu you can feel the difference.

So I went to the DR's monday and he said I had reacted to the injection and that there was a build up of fluid. He drained it and got about 3mls of this yellow/green pus liquid (which was actually quite satisfying, but I am gross and love things like that!)
But now it's come back and is back to it's original size. It flattened out for about a day. The colour is still horrible and I'm lost at what to do. I know it's not a major problem but it's not nice especially when I want to wear t-shirts and vest I try and cover it up.

I'm lost at what to do, should I go back and get it drained? Or is there anything else I could do...maybe cover-up make-up? But I don't always want to have it there for ever :(

Sorry for the rant!

Comments

• Options
    i had a few friends how have went to peru and they needed a TB. and they all had this, its normal and will eventually will calm down. this is what happens with this injection i'm afraid
  • Options
    i had a few friends how have went to peru and they needed a TB. and they all had this, its normal and will eventually will calm down. this is what happens with this injection i'm afraid

I know it's meant to have a bit of a lump but I don't remember anyone at school's going like this, even my my mum, bf and a sister on the ward I work on say it doesn't look quite right. I wish I could put a pic up but I can't :no: :crying:

The Dr mumbled something about 6 months before the colour will start to fade...but thats ages away!!!
  • Options
    mmm... maybe you should go back and see what they say and your mind can be put at rest.

My friends is quite big and really red and hurts especially when someone touches it. But i've not had it so i can't really give you a first hand experience. :/
  • Options
    A lump is perfectly normal, the BCG does cause a scar which can be red and look nasty for some time.

I would suggest you should get your doctor to keep an eye on it, it probably isn't infected and the pus is forming as a result of your bodies reaction to the vaccination BUT I would imagine that you are more at risk of getting an infection at the vaccination site so it's best that the doctor keeps an eye on it. I would avoid putting anything on it like cover up make up.
  • Options
    I can't help much, but I reacted to mine and it did something a lot along those lines, but was in my leg and the reaction went knee to hip and well as the oozy lump.

Was a fair while back now, but it took ages to go down completely, on a several weeks time scale, and now I've just got a slightly more obvious scar than most other people.

Not much reassurance I'm afraid, but you're not the only one if that's any help at all. If it's come back up then could go back to the gp if you're worried, and maybe talk to them some more about whether you should keep going back or just let it run its course.

Another thought, if you work in a hospital, no chance of you drifting up to the chest clinic and someone having a glance at it there, they're the experts. Mum took me round as she worked in a hospital and they said it happens, just ignore it.