Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm 20 years old and my parents are control freaks!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 20 years old and my parents are control freaks!, seriously they are, my dads not too bad but my mother my gosh, i ask if i can go out and i always have to lie say oh just going to a friends house or just going shopping to get a bit of freedom. when i say i want to go out at night she pulls on some face and her attitude changes and says "where do you think your going, no your not, you think your so big" etc. i really want to go on holiday with my friends, but i'm afraid to ask, i've booked my time off work and i'm going to pay for it myself but i know she will say no! can anyone help me, i also do come from an asian background.

Comments

• Options
    I know exactely how you feel and I am sorry to hear that your mother is being just like mine was. Maybe they feel protective towards women and the big wide world but hey we have to go out into it to experience things ...think mine would have kept me wrapped up in cotton wool all the time.
  • Options
    Maybe rebel, when your parents realise you're not made of glass they might be a bit of more understanding
  • Options
    Just ask them what they think is going to happen to you, and make sure you have a reason why it won't and explain how you'll deal with it if it does. I don't think lying to them is helping, because you'll eventually be found out and it will make things worse. Instead of asking their permisson about the holiday you could ask for their opinion and show you're prepared to compromise on certain things.
  • Options
    This isnt at all unusual. Parents often have trouble letting go, especially mums. Just think you've been their life for years and they're use to making sure your safe. Its difficult for them to let you make your own decisions n what not.

Just do what you want, they'll have to get use to it.
  • Options
    It's your own fault.
    i ask if i can go out

It's courteous to tell your parents what you are doing.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    It's courteous to tell your parents what you are doing.

True. But there's a difference between saying "I am going out with my friends" & "Can I go out with my friends?"