Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hand back my pension? I'll hand back some of it, says disgraced ex-banker

Following on from this thread, when Fred Goodwin was rightly telling the Prime Mentalist to fuck off, comes this surprising development.

Says Sky News: "Former RBS chief Sir Fred Goodwin has agreed to hand back a large chunk of his controversial pension payout - but only after banking a multi-million-pound lump sum. Sir Fred - blamed for the shock downfall of RBS - had refused to back down on a deal that would have seen him take home around £700,000 a year. The new agreement, revealed exclusively by Sky's Jeff Randall, will see the shamed banker pocketing £342,500 a year."

What on earth was he thinking when he made this decision? I actually gained some respect for him when he was telling the psychologically flawed one to get lost. Now that he's agreed to hand back some of it, he's going to be a target for righteous wankers everywhere - give an inch, take a mile with these people.

And why is this only coming out now?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe he's grown a conscience?

Actually it makes sense. He refused to bow to (almost certainly illegal) demands from the government to hand back some of the money, and after things calmed down a bit he volunteers to hand some of it back. Sending the message that he won't be bullied or told what to do, but has decided to give some money back voluntarily and as a gesture of goodwill.

Though secretly I suspect he knows he doesn't deserve some of that money, given his dismal performance towards the end of his chairmanship.
  • Options
    I think it has more to do with The Sun hounding the scumbag, including pretty much publishing the address in France where it's been hiding like the big cissy gimpy thief that it is.

For once, I applaud The Sun.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with The Sun hounding the scumbag, including pretty much publishing the address in France where it's been hiding like the big cissy gimpy thief that it is.

For once, I applaud The Sun.

As much as you obviously dislike the man, he didn't do anything illegal, he was under no obligation to return the money, and any one of us in the same situation would have acted exactly the same.

The Sun is a rag, written by people who think they have the right to influence politics in this country, despite being totally unable to do so without whipping everyone up into a moral fervour.
  • Options
    He was under every moral obligation to return every penny of that money. If he had any decency at all the money would have been returned months ago.

His lack of moral decency makes him a legitimate target in my eyes. Not just for stealing all that money, but for making all those people lose their jobs. Thousands are without work because of his troughing.

His lack of moral decency- standing up, saying sorry, returning the money- makes him a legitimate target. Put it this way, if his house burns down with him in it, I shan't be shedding many tears.