Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stuffing a stuffed toy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am about to start stuffing the legs of a toy I am making. The stuffing comes in one large chunk so I figure I have to rip it up a little but into how big of pieces? Is it better to do it in really small pieces or any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    No idea sorry, but post some pictures!
  • Options
    Um Have you ever taken stuff out of a stuffed toy?

Usually each peice is about the size of your fist, or slightly larger.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I normally do it in fairly small pieces as I am knitting it. This way, the stuffing is easier to manipulate if you find it isn't sitting right.
  • Options
    Thanks for that. He is turning out alright but kind of lumpy in places. Any way to de lumpify him after he is done? Maybe send him thru a handwash cycle in the washer?

E says I should just take him to bed like Simba and he'll flaten out soon like him :p

He is headless right now but when that is done I'll have a pic :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Thanks for that. He is turning out alright but kind of lumpy in places. Any way to de lumpify him after he is done? Maybe send him thru a handwash cycle in the washer?

E says I should just take him to bed like Simba and he'll flaten out soon like him :p

He is headless right now but when that is done I'll have a pic :)

E is right :p

A bit of manipulation (ie cuddles!) will work wonders. That's what I did with Elijah. I just fiddled around with him for a while. The smaller the amount of stuffing, the easier it is to manipulate :)
  • Options
    Washing him would probably make it worse tbh. I washed my teddy bear recently and when he came out the stuffing that had actually stayed inside him (he's a bit of a mess) was kinda lumpy and when I put the stuffing that had come out back in it felt really lumpy until I'd cuddled him a lot.
  • Options
    E is right :p

A bit of manipulation (ie cuddles!) will work wonders. That's what I did with Elijah. I just fiddled around with him for a while. The smaller the amount of stuffing, the easier it is to manipulate :)

agreeeeed! this worked when i made a sock monkey last year. knitting needles are also really helpful when you are poking the fluff into tricky bits. that sounds wrong
  • Options
    I have done a stuffing in a soft toy sometime long back
    i have made soft toys like a small chic and a small puppy and a teddy bear
    where i had all the parts cut in small parts which will be quite easy to join them and stitch which will be better fit than stitched in big parts