Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Yarn smells of smoke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought some odd balls of yarn from ebay, about 20 little balls but they smell of cigarette smoke, not mega powerful but enough that I noticed it when I opened the bag. How can I get the smell out, or will I have to unwind the yarn, wash it and then wind back up?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There seem to be a couple suggestions here http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/yarn/394915/1-25 :) Perhaps if it isn't that strong and it doesn't bother you or stink up the room you are in you could wait till you knit something and then wash it, as that might be easier than unknotting the giant knot that might come from giving the yarn a rinse?
    There seem to be a couple suggestions here http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/yarn/394915/1-25 :) Perhaps if it isn't that strong and it doesn't bother you or stink up the room you are in you could wait till you knit something and then wash it, as that might be easier than unknotting the giant knot that might come from giving the yarn a rinse?

Thanks for that link

I guess could always wash the squares as I knit them.

The only thing is I don't fancy crocheting with yukky yarn in the meantime :(
    Yeah :( Maybe since you say they are just little balls it would be a lot easier to wash them than say a big ol ball of yarn.

The idea with the newspaper that somebody put (second page I think?) sounds real interesting.

So watcha gonna make :D
    if my pullover stinks from a night out a few hours on a coat hanger on the windy balcony usually does the trick. Should work with the yarn too.
    Yeah :( Maybe since you say they are just little balls it would be a lot easier to wash them than say a big ol ball of yarn.

The idea with the newspaper that somebody put (second page I think?) sounds real interesting.

So watcha gonna make :D

It's for my granny square blanket - I've done 22 squares and nearly used up all my scrap yarn

No idea how to wash the yarn though lol
    I got some like that, it was the end of an auction and I bought without reading and it stunk so bad that in the end I just threw it away because it was so manky.
    Yes smoke smell is so difficult to get out. I have emailed the seller to complain, the balls of yarn I recieved weren't the same as in the picture either

I hate complaining! Especially with yarn, I think of a little old granny gettin upset lol

I think I will end up winding it loosely into skiens (right word, possibly?) and giving it a wash and hang it up to dry to see if the smell will go
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    if my pullover stinks from a night out a few hours on a coat hanger on the windy balcony usually does the trick. Should work with the yarn too.

:yes:

Before you wash it (btw, if there's any natural fibre content wash VERY carefully) just try putting the whole lot outside for a day or so. If it's not super strong, the fresh air will quite often lift the smell out :)
    Olive wrote: »

Before you wash it (btw, if there's any natural fibre content wash VERY carefully) just try putting the whole lot outside for a day or so. If it's not super strong, the fresh air will quite often lift the smell out :)

Thanks I'll ty that first

I had a refund off the seller so even if the smoke doesn't come out then it's all good
    Fabreeze?
    icey wrote: »
    Fabreeze?

It smells like it's already been fabreezed to be honest - that'll be my last resort as I don't really like the smell of fabreeze, although it is better than smoke!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Olive wrote: »

This is what I would do.

I would unravel the balls (if it *is* balls) and turn them into skeins that haven't been twisted up yet. I would then hang them on the washing line to get the air into them and see if that makes a difference.

If there is still a bit of a smell left I would probably just knit it up and then submerge the garment in water with a bit of nice smelling eucalan and block it out.

What yarn is it? Just being nosey :p

Just oddments of all different types and colours, ranging from 2ply to worsted weight. I'll have to crochet with some double strands lol.

I haven't got a washing line :(
    I think I've finally managed to get the smell out!

I wound it into really loose skiens and hung it on a sock drier (the type with clips) and hung it outside for a few hours in the wind. I sprayed it with a mix of water, vodka and a tiny bit of vanilla scent before I put it outside and it doesn't seem to be smelling now!

I put the vodka in cos I read that it will lift the smell out lol so thought I'd try the multiple attack and chuck it in

Now got to wind it back into balls :grump:
    This is what I would do.

I would unravel the balls (if it *is* balls) and turn them into skeins that haven't been twisted up yet. I would then hang them on the washing line to get the air into them and see if that makes a difference.

If there is still a bit of a smell left I would probably just knit it up and then submerge the garment in water with a bit of nice smelling eucalan and block it out.

What is the difference between a yarn and a skein? I thought skein was just the fancy term for ball.
    What is the difference between a yarn and a skein? I thought skein was just the fancy term for ball.

I thought a skein was like a really loose ball? Wiki says it's a long coil of yarn.
    I can show my osmosised yarn geekiness here. These are skeins -

3428.jpg

These are balls -

handdyed.jpg

The balls are ready to use for activities, having been wound on a windy thing.