Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fined for dropping money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just another example at how stupid this country is becoming

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/106719/Fined-50-for-dropping-a-tenner

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Strathclyde Police last night insisted Mr Smith had dropped several papers and ignored a warning to pick them up.

But the fixed-penalty notice reads: “You did drop a price ticket”, appearing to contradict the force’s version of events.

A force spokeswoman said: “An individual was seen throwing papers on the street. When he was approached and spoken to about it, he recovered the money he had thrown away but repeated his actions with the papers. He was therefore ticketed.”
    Hmm.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that if a Police Man calls a person back to pick up a £10 note + Receipt - that even if the guy drops the receipt again the policeman can't simply say pick that up or I'll have no choice to fine you £50 and the guy doesn't pick it up ...

I seriously doubt the man would risk the hassle or fine for the sake of a bit of paper he could put back in his pocket, sure there's more to this story then is being reported.
  • Options
    They have to pay for the super's tea and biscuits somehow, don't they? The country's bankrupt so it's all about extracting as much cash as possible.
  • Options
    Strathclyde Police = thick as pig shit.
  • Options
    Teh media are just so good.

"Arthritis Sufferer"

It's always the bad side of life.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'd ignore that, considering alot of my friends work for Strathclyde police and most of them are ok. i love your blatent jump on the band wagon and agree with the stereo typical view of strathclyde police. you ever dealt with strathclyde police ;) tbh I just think you say things like that to seem "cool"

personally, alot of officers in alot of police forces are cocks, but alot are decent people. this is clearly an idiotic case.
  • Options
    Given it came from the Daily Express it may not even be true....
  • Options
    ...only in England!
  • Options

thats coming from someone who hands out change in an arcade for a living?
  • Options
    thats coming from someone who hands out change in an arcade for a living?
    That was about 2 years ago now, do keep up...
  • Options
    That was about 2 years ago now, do keep up...

if you say so
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    tbh I just think you say things like that to seem "cool"
    You, of all people, are accusing me of saying something to sound "cool"? Oh, the irony.

Still, I suppose we should be grateful that they didn't give him the waterboarding treatment.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    ...only in England!
    please tell me your not serious.... *slaps*

SG, yeah I am thank you, I noticed you seem to always "side" with the cool kids.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    ...only in England!

Strathclyde... :p
  • Options
    Well the statement the police has given suggests a different set of events to the story by the man in question. If the man's story is true then it is breathtakingly stupid. If the police are telling the truth then there is more to the story than meets the eye.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that a police officer would do this, a council warden perhaps but not a cop.
    I've never handed out a litter ticket, much better just to get people to clean their mess up and threaten them with one if they don't.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a police officer would do this, a council warden perhaps but not a cop.
    I've never handed out a litter ticket, much better just to get people to clean their mess up and threaten them with one if they don't.
    If I had to take a guess, I'd say he dropped the receipt of the purchase and the tenner, picked up the tenner but didn't bother with the receipt, at which point the police approached him.
  • Options
    I bet you're right. The last time I saw a story like this was about a guy arrested for dropping an apple.
    It turned out in court that he'd dropped it and had been requested several times to pick it up. He then refused his name and address details for a ticket and got himself arrested, his sheer beligerance was what got him in trouble.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If I had to take a guess, I'd say he dropped the receipt of the purchase and the tenner, picked up the tenner but didn't bother with the receipt, at which point the police approached him.

Wasn't it the police who informed him that he'd dropped the money?
  • Options
    That's his side of the story, and what has been reported (since the police would only confirm a fine for littering had been issue to an individual). All I'm saying is that his version of events seems rather unlikely, though not impossible of course.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Or maybe he dropped them both, the policemen told him, he said "Thanks" and just picked up the money.

Or maybe there was an evil invisible dwarf in his pocket who dropped stuff.

All we can do is guess, basically.