Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying back benefits.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few weeks ago the benefits system was shook up so everyone got paid on the same day. I get DLA Inc.Sup and I.B. and it was all paid by my local DWP office, but this changed to DLA being paid by DLA peopel and my local DWP paying my I.S. and I.B. Got that ? :)

When i went to get my money for the first time after these changes i was over paid by £230. Being the sensible (sometimes) person i am i didnt spend it but called the DLA, they said it wasnt an over payment by them. So i called my local office and they said it was them but 'not to worry about it' as it wasn't fraudulent information that led me to getting this money but their mistake.

So today i get a letter demanding £310.30, £80 more than i was overpaid.

So. My question is. Do i have to repay this money when it was their mistake and all the info they have on my claim(s) is correct and honest etc ?

Ta muchly :)

Comments

• Options
    Yes.

Although I would question the difference in figures.
  • Options
    If you are paid income support by direct bank transfer, and the overpayment occurred as a direct result of the transfer system, then the overpayment can be recovered. This would be the case if the BACS system credited the same amount twice, for instance.

If the overpayment was not caused by the bank transfer system, then it can only be recovered if you failed to disclose a 'relevant fact' to the DWP (e.g. change in income) or you didn't disclose it properly. If they ballsed up and overpaid you, you don't have to pay it back.

If you have a scanner, PM me a copy of the letter and I'll tell you whether you have to repay it. The DWP usually send overpayment letters demanding payment and it's only at the bottom where it says you don't legally have to do it.
  • Options
    Ta. I'll get Leigh to scan the letter coz it's on his comp and i don't like to touch it, so to speak. They do admit in the letter it was their fault. I get paid into one of those Post Office benefit account things.
  • Options
    Thanks Kermy. I'll let you know how it goes.