Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you think he should step down?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that Gordon Brown should step down as our prime minister....I think he should as we need a new party that can turn Great Britain into being GREAT again?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Should he step down? Too bloody right he should.

But is there anyone better to replace him? I'm not sure.
    becks27 wrote: »
    Do you think that Gordon Brown should step down as our prime minister....I think he should as we need a new party that can turn Great Britain into being GREAT again?

If Gordo stepped down it wouldn't put another party into power. And we'll be getting a Conservative government next, which'll do nothing for our 'great' credentials.
    We're not exactly facing a plethora of wonderful candidates. We don't have a Barack Obama to put a fresh face on government and politics.

I think GB should call a general election. If he steps down, another Labour face will fill the shoes and the whole sorry mess will continue to rattle towards its inevitable doom.
    They might as well just admit defeat now.
    I don't want to be picky but the 'Great' is geographical to distinguish from it from Lesser Britain
    what about the site.org political party?
    yes you are right that we do not have any other party that would be a fresher one than any of the other parties. We have to then make a new one peeps??
    yes you are right that we do not have any other party that would be a fresher one than any of the other parties. We have to then make a new one peeps??

Under the current system minor paties have 0% chance of succeeding in a GE. It has and always will be for the forseeable future a choice between Labour and the Tories. Cameron will win the next GE if Brown steps down or not so it's pretty irrelevant what he does. I'm still hedging my bets for a May 2010 election.
    I don't want to be picky...

Yeah, you do! :D

I don't - I think he should face the voters at an election seeing how he got the job without ever being elected into the position in the first place.

That way it will be clear to himself and everyone else exactly what the public think of him .. if he steps down now he'll never know for sure...
    what about the site.org political party?

youthnet being a charity that gives sexual, relationship and other welfare advice to young people, there's not much chance of the conservatives being that turned on by it. something about family values.

I would like a 'progressive / reformist' party in the UK though. But until we get that, we are stuck with labour or tories it looks like!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I would like a 'progressive / reformist' party in the UK though.
    What, in the name of Beelzebub, does the word "progressive" mean in this context?
    Broadly speaking (from wikipedia) - Progressivism is a political and social term that refers to ideologies and movements favoring or advocating progress, changes, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are.

I don't think there is a political party like that in play at the minute, if there was (even if they didn't get in power), it would nudge the conservatives and labour to consider those issues in their manifestos and policies.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Broadly speaking (from wikipedia) - Progressivism is a political and social term that refers to ideologies and movements favoring or advocating progress, changes, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are.
    In other words, it doesn't mean anything at all. I suspect that our definitions of the words "advocating progress" might be very different. ;)