Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cancer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everywhere I turn these days I come across families with a cancer connection ...seems to be running rampant.
I have been to three funerals in the last ten days.
Might just be me ...anyone else seeing a lot of cancer around them cos ...it got me to thinking ...twenty five years ago we had Chernobyl.
At the time the press was full of reports saying ...in twenty five years we will see a huge rise in cases of cancer ...along with new cancers.
Well twenty five years just passed ...any connection ...were they right?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I live between 3 nuclear power stations. The cancer rate is 1 in 2 rather than the usual 1 in 3. Dunno if they're connected at all.
    I live between 3 nuclear power stations. The cancer rate is 1 in 2 rather than the usual 1 in 3. Dunno if they're connected at all.

It's only recently that some areas of North Wales have been able to resume sales of lamb again after Chernobyl.
    I think it's hard to tell. Personally I think it's more to do with better diagnosis techniques and the fact that people are now living long enough to get cancer. 100 years ago they'd have been lunched by the factory machinery long before cancer had a chance to appear.

That said, leukaemia rates in the village of Seascale are about five times higher than the national average. The Government are flummoxed as to what might be causing the leukaemia. The village is two miles from Sellafield.

In my family, my sister-in-law has a serious congenital heart defect. It's rare, the chances of getting it are about ten million to one. There's a girl two villages away who has the same problems, and one two villages the other way who's got an equally rare hip defect. My in laws live quite near Sellafield and their house is also on the top of a Lakes fell, so all the Chernobyl rain hit them too.
    Cancers been on the up since the industrial revolution. Tons of toxins in the air, then the expansion of electronical equipment, giving of radio waves n what not. PLus all the chemicals in the crap we eat these days. Its a wonder we're not all dead already :P
    Yeh i think its just random, i come from a big family mainly female and only 1 which was my nana had cancer (breast) and she got cured

only other person whos died while i been alive is my grandad from motor neuron which is uncureable..dang.
    There is no point trying to determine any disease trends by anecdotal evidence alone. Cancer incidence rates are likely to fluctuate on a nationwide and local level, and are influenced by a multitude of environmental and genetic factors. What might appear to be a cause-effect relationship on a small scale is likely to disappear when these factors are taken into account. To determine any real effects wold require large studies sampling a large number of people.
    Interesting replies but ...are you all saying that what the scientists said would happen twenty five years on ...which is where we are now ...were wrong?
    Even though there are obvious rises?
    how obvious are the rises in the last 25 years? As Kermit says detection methods are better now so it's really difficult to do a like-for-like comparison of then and now.
    If cancer has risen over the last few decades I'd put money on nutrition being a part of it. Meat and saturated fats aren't consumed as highly as in the past but unrefined carbs and veg aren't eaten as much as before.
    So the scientists and their science were wrong?
    What might appear to be a cause-effect relationship on a small scale is likely to disappear when these factors are taken into account.

That's what the Government study about Sellafield said. Apparently on a national scale you get clusters of cancer in the same way differently coloured ball-bearings cluster together in a petri dish for no apparent reason. It's just one of those things.

Of course it's a huge coincidence that the clusters of cancer are two miles down the road from a nuclear power station.