Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO: Londoners - Tube Strike Tomorrow

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote: »
    I tried to explain that above.

I didn't get it ;)

Cause some say they are fully suspended and some only partially.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Basically in a strike situation nobody will turn up for work. Those who are already at work when the strike begins (so 7pm) will usually finish their shifts then not come back until the strike is over.

Some lines will therefore have enough drivers and other staff available to run some kind of skeleton service late into this evening while other lines wouldn't. Hence some have remained open while other lines have closed early.

Rail staff (particularly drivers) don't work 'normal' shifts such as 9-5 or 4pm-midnight, they work specific 'jobs' (turn up at a specific time to drive specific services) and therefore could work 1:52pm till 9:19pm or 6:42am to 4:15pm for example. Dependant on how this works out more lines could have more drivers than other.

Needless to say while some lines have managed to run a good service tonight I imagine we'll see an almost complete network shut down tomorrow and Thursday.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So they're not happy with getting £40k a year to take the cattle trucks from one side of London to another? There is a simple solution - piss off and let someone else do it. There's a recession on, and rather a lot of people looking for work.

So what do you do between you sacking the existing drivers and the new drivers jobs being advertised and resourced, candidates being interviewed, physcometrically tested, hired and trained?

The whole process will take a minimum of six months (http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/dd-training.htm)

PS: When I mean in other posts about safeguarding jobs have a read of this - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-374010/Traumatised-tube-driver-lose-job.html
    Well that was fun.

90 minutes on a jam-packed bus to travel 6.2 miles to work. My stop is the 3rd stop after the start of the route, and my stop was the last stop at which they were letting people on. Didn't get a seat until just before Fleet St (heading from Chelsea to Liverpool St.) and people were getting very fucking stroppy indeed.

Can't wait to do it again tonight.
    6.2 miles, just walk, avg person walks what, 5mph that'll take 60minutes instead of 90 to walk, so surely more beinifical, specially if you're a fast walker like moi
    Flash
    Split second decisions in dangerous circumstances aren't the same as routine operations where you're not concentrating.

This equation doesn't stand up as far as I can see - the policeman who assaulted Ian Tomlinson was in no immediate danger - he wasn't making a 'split second decision' nor were any of the other neon hooligans who used that day as an excuse to beat up a few people they don't like.

There was no excuse for a great deal of the police behaviour that day, nor for the blatant lying to protect colleagues that went on afterward, and during in the form of covered faces and IDs. This is perhaps the most relevant resemblance!

But I can't agree with Aladdin either - this was gross misconduct as far as I can see, and was, as Flash points out, a routine operation. The fact that there was evidence of lying to protect colleagues makes it worse.
    Just for the record - some of the tube network IS running. My girlfriend is currently on a Hammersmith and City line. Took me a while to sort out a workable route to get her to Liverpool Street, but she's on her way.
    Well that was fun.

90 minutes on a jam-packed bus to travel 6.2 miles to work. My stop is the 3rd stop after the start of the route, and my stop was the last stop at which they were letting people on. Didn't get a seat until just before Fleet St (heading from Chelsea to Liverpool St.) and people were getting very fucking stroppy indeed.

Can't wait to do it again tonight.

Really - you should just walk :) Either that of stop off at a pub for a couple of hours to let the crowds die down ;)
    Needless to say while some lines have managed to run a good service tonight I imagine we'll see an almost complete network shut down tomorrow and Thursday.

Nope.
    Sadly, my line is only operating on the 3 end stations for some weird reason. Did I mention I hate the RMT? :(

I have to leave at 7 tomorrow to be sure to get to school on time and not get stuck in a ridiculously crowded bus - then I have to do two exams. Yes, I know other people have bigger problems, but on days of exam the last thing I want to do is to be caused extra stress by being stuck in a traffic jam in a crowded bus.
    Cycled through Bank at 8.45am and there were Rubbish trucks 4 in a queue and two abreast in the middle of the crossroads.

This, will get messy.
    Cycled through Bank at 8.45am and there were Rubbish trucks 4 in a queue and two abreast in the middle of the crossroads.

This, will get messy.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Why on earth?!?
    Woop woop, big it up for the Northern Line.

everything else was fucked this morning. :thumb:
    Jubille and Northern line drivers are mainly ASLEF not RMT apparently so that might explain why they are working!
    ???

how long will this last????
    Until Thursday night - Friday morning.
    It's estimated that this strike will cause London businesses to lose about £100m. On top of that, everyone in London will be losing 2-3 hours in extra commuting time, etc. That could add up to another £100m.

The RMT should be forced to reimburse, in full, any out-of-pocket expenses for any business or person caused by his strike. That should focus the minds of the greedy fucks who have walked out, coincidentally on a nice warm summer's day. Funny how these strikes never happen in February, isn't it?
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's estimated that this strike will cause London businesses to lose about £100m. On top of that, everyone in London will be losing 2-3 hours in extra commuting time, etc. That could add up to another £100m.

The RMT should be forced to reimburse, in full, any out-of-pocket expenses for any business or person caused by his strike. That should focus the minds of the greedy fucks who have walked out, coincidentally on a nice warm summer's day. Funny how these strikes never happen in February, isn't it?
    Maybe the current weather is seen as a warm and sunny where you are, but I can assure you it's officially classed as gray, cool and depressive by Londoners' standards :D

Incidentally, if you argue for unions to reimburse people for inconvenience and/or extra expenses incurred, you're going to have to apply that to absolutely all strikes and strikers, not just those that irritate you. Frankly, that scenario sounds like a hellhole I would not want to live in.
    I tried to explain that above.
    Alternatively, Transport for London could just be really slow at updating their website.
    Traffic has been horrendous the past couple of days. More cars on the road + more cyclists = not a nice commute!
    Aladdin wrote: »
    True. Yet there are cases of the latter involving policemen but still nobody will get fired.

Not many - in fact I can't think of any off hand. And there are cases where police have been prosecuted for causing deaths by driving, which is the most common form of police killing (and the nearest to routine I can think off - even if it less routine than driving a tube train and opening the wrong door)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/speeding-policeman-jailed-for-girls-death-1677358.html
    Flash

This equation doesn't stand up as far as I can see - the policeman who assaulted Ian Tomlinson was in no immediate danger - he wasn't making a 'split second decision' nor were any of the other neon hooligans who used that day as an excuse to beat up a few people they don't like..

Well, yes, but I wasn't talking about him. I don't think we can know whether he's going to be prosecuted or not (and to be honest I'm willing to bet money he will be). I'm more talking about the coppers such as the one's who shot Menzes (as I assume is Aladdin as we're talking about coppers making mistakes in the course of their duties rather than walloping passers by because they'd had a bad day)
    g_angel wrote: »
    Really - you should just walk :) Either that of stop off at a pub for a couple of hours to let the crowds die down ;)

Well I didn't know that at the time did I?

Also I was making this journey at 7am. Not many pubs open then.

My journey home was even more entertaining. Liverpool St to Sloane Square (5.5 miles) took 2 hours. That is considerably less than walking speed but I did get a seat and there was a hot girl sat opposite me so I couldn't be bothered to move.

Tomorrow however, I shall walk to and from work (5.6 miles) as I invisage public transport being even worse tomorrow now people know how bad it is and seek to leave home earlier.
    Well I didn't know that at the time did I?

Also I was making this journey at 7am. Not many pubs open then.

My journey home was even more entertaining. Liverpool St to Sloane Square (5.5 miles) took 2 hours. That is considerably less than walking speed but I did get a seat and there was a hot girl sat opposite me so I couldn't be bothered to move.

Tomorrow however, I shall walk to and from work (5.6 miles) as I invisage public transport being even worse tomorrow now people know how bad it is and seek to leave home earlier.

Nooooooooooo, you utter spoon. I *meant* on the way home! People have been really dumb today... :D Look at your final comment in what I quoted, I was responding to that :)
    Sounds like it has been an utter nightmare for people. Bf was stuck in traffic for two and a half hours. Will the Northern line be running again tomorrow? I can either get that to Kentish Town or I can get the overline.
    I imagine it'll be the same level of service as offered today but I can't guarantee of course.
    A bus ride which should take 35 minutes in bad traffic, ended up with me having to take several busses and it taking me 2 hours to get to school.

I am livid!
    well my part of the line is running...so i don't give a fuck about the rest of it! :p
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Incidentally, if you argue for unions to reimburse people for inconvenience and/or extra expenses incurred, you're going to have to apply that to absolutely all strikes and strikers, not just those that irritate you.

Strikers shouldn't be liable to their employers, providing the strikes are legal, but they should be liable to all third parties. If the RMT want to use innocent third parties as an extortion tool then they can fucking well pay for it.

When the scum at Stagecoach had a 48-hour walkout (they wanted 16%, Stagecoach offered a miserly 9%) the other year it cost me £30, when that was close to being a day's net wages for me. Why should I have to pay for their greed?
    I walked in this morning, and despite the blisters on my feet, took me exactly the same amount of time as it did to get in yesterday. And I wasn't pressed up against someone's armpit.

Plus I got to see Buckingham Palace, stroll down the Mall, Trafalgar Square, stroll down the Strand, past the Courts, past St. Pauls and then on to work. Quite a nice journey.