Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Paypal disputes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I just got sent a dispute over some stuff I sent to a girl in the Netherlands. She paid £16 (way below retail) for three things and I sent it (admittedly a bit late, though I did let the people involved know) on May 9th. She is now claiming it hasn't arrived and that she paid for registered shipping. She DID NOT pay for this. She gave me an offer of £16 (less than the stated price) for two items and picked a third that I had as a "if you spend over £10 you can get this free" thing. Nowhere did she say she wanted it sent registered and had she said that that price included registered shipping I wouldn't have agreed to the offer.

Anyway, she's now claiming it is my responsibility and has filed said dispute. I can't afford to pay her back, especially since she never asked for registered mail, and it is an unfortunate fact of life that packages go missing (I've had three go missing, and possibly a third that cost me a LOT MORE than £16), especially overseas mail. But because I only sent it regular first class I only have a receipt of it being sent to her country, NOT to her address.

What can I do? I have tried being reasonable with her but to be honest I'm beginning to get suspicious of her. I told her I had proof that I shipped it and from there on it's not my responsibility if it goes lost, and she said that that's fine but yet still is filing the dispute.

Halp plz :(.

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think the first thing to do is a paper trail. Check through all the emails that you have had from her, get all the evidence that way and scan through the proof of postage too. Send all this to paypal. Only if you provide all this evidence (and I think she has to do the same) could you have a leg to stand on.

Unfortunately, paypal tends to go with the buyer, rather than the seller :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll have to get Rich's housemate to scan the receipt on Monday. She hasn't escalated it to a full on claim yet but I might as well get it all sorted. If I do then I can say to her that I have everything I need to dispute her dispute and maybe she'll back down.

I know they go with the buyer :(. It sucks because other people were offering to buy the more expensive item who would have gladly paid for registered but because she commented first I gave it to her. Sigh.
    Get your money out of Paypal. They often don't bother reading any "supporting evidence" the seller submits.

Paypal suck these days.
    My Paypal is linked to my bank account so it can just take it straight from there.

Sigh.
    Your answer is.. do not sell overseas..

I would never sell any item that is not available for immediate download to anyone overseas.
    I generally have no problem selling overseas and it's actually more profitable for me because a lot of the stuff I sell isn't available in the US anymore. This is the first time I've had any problems with it. Sigh.
    Overseas is a no... If it has to be done, limit your sales to USA only.
    Overseas is a no... If it has to be done, limit your sales to USA only.
    Really, is telling me how to sell my stuff in any way helpful? I have had little problem with sending and receiving stuff from all over and for the vast majority, it's understood that if they don't specifically purchase registered mail there's nothing I can do if it goes awol. Stuff goes missing all the time, even domestic, so telling me 'don't ship overseas' is pointless and doesn't help with the problem I have.
    Of course it helps becasue if you hadn't of shipped to somehwhere that isn't tracking deliveries in the first place then you wouldn't have this problem.

There are a lot of unscrupulous people on Ebay, too smart and cunning for the likes of Ebay and Paypal, they know the loopholes and make a damn good job of using them.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Of course it helps becasue if you hadn't of shipped to somehwhere that isn't tracking deliveries in the first place then you wouldn't have this problem.

There are a lot of unscrupulous people on Ebay, too smart and cunning for the likes of Ebay and Paypal, they know the loopholes and make a damn good job of using them.

It doesn't help right now. The question was about what she should do with regards to an impending paypal dispute. Not how she could avoid disputes.

It ain't helpful and doesn't answer the question.
    It doesn't help right now. The question was about what she should do with regards to an impending paypal dispute. Not how she could avoid disputes.

It ain't helpful and doesn't answer the question.

I was looking at the broader image, she had a problem, by the time I answered I guessed she would have figured out how to deal with the dispute, PayPal virtually walk you through it asking you for all the information they need.

You CAN track deliveries but SHE CHOSE THE CHEAPER OPTION WHICH MEANS YOU CAN'T.

You can't track deliveries to the UK either, unless you get signed-for or recorded.

And I wasn't using eBay. If I WAS using eBay this would be much simpler because I'd have charged them recorded shipping regardless.
    this happened with a mobile phone in my case. i sent it, she never recieved it, they refunded the £100 and i have had to pay paypal back. :|
    Unfortunately there is nothing much you can do. I sent a parcel to some girl in America, who then filed a "goods not received" notice with PayPal, who then refunded her. Then MY stuff turned up on her website and I had proof she received the goods as she admitted it to me via MySpace. I sent all this to PayPal, but they refused to open any attachments to emails. So basically, if you don't send goods recorded/signed for PayPal won't help the seller in any way.