Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Standing Orders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it possible for you to cancel a standing order coming INTO your account?

The reason I ask is due to my boyfriend's ex-housemate. My boyfriend is adamant (but hasn't been able to phone the bank and check as we're abroad) that he set up the standing order to finish at the end of May, yet the standing order disappeared at the end of april, and the last payment hasn't gone through. My boyfriend tried to contact our ex-housemate who's the recipient, but she's only just replied.

It now turns out, that another housemate, who was also on a standing order, hasn't paid her last rent payment. It is not like her to have done that. We have suspected that perhaps this ex-housemate cancelled the payment- especially as the landlord was informed even though my boyfriend had tried to contact the ex-housemate already.

Anyway, basic question is, can you cancel standing orders coming into your account?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, you can only cancel standing orders which leave your account, not ones coming in
    No, because the standing order is insigated by the payer, not the payee (in contrast to Direct Debits).

The payer needs to cancel it at their end.
    Okay, thanks guys.

Further to that, if something happens with the payee's bank account- change or transfer of some kind say, would that affect the SO? Or should it still continue to go out no matter what happens to the payee's account?
    Depends on the change really. Sometimes if the account name and the account details don't match then the payee's ban might return the payment. It's quite rare for that to happen though.

You should ask your bank why it hasn't arrived.
    Well I know in the first case that it hasn't gone out, and in the second case i'm not sure yet whether it's gone out or not.

There is a small possibility that my boyf was silly enough to get the date wrong (although not that likely, he's not bad with money), but it's a bit suspicious that it's happened to the other housemate, given all the other problems with the lead tenant and the fact that despite my boyfriend having tried to contact her earlier on, the lead housemate contacted the landlord before replying to my boyfriend.