Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fire Alarms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you do when one goes off? There is one ringing now but I'm not moving because it's raining and I'm sure there is no fire...

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Depends. If its at home I investigate, if its at Uni I tend to ignore it or slowly walk out because everytime its been a prank!
  • Options
    At work, follow the procedure.

At uni, find access card, keys, bag, laptop into bag etc then leave.

At home, go hunting.
  • Options
    Work - go to the other building and get a drink.
    Uni - slowly leave.
    Home - open the door/ window as its normally the result of cooking gone mad.
  • Options
    At my term time place, ignore. it goes off at least once a week and is probably the most fun wake up call ever, right behind being punched in the face.
  • Options
    Lately at uni we've had a serial fire alarmer constantly setting it off, i think the most we've had is about 6 times in one night. I dont go out anymore cos i know its never a real fire, and I've actually started to learn to half sleep through it.

If i was at work, we'd have to get all the customers out as standard procedure (i work at a costa coffee)

At home, if i know someones cooking i leave it but otherwise i'd go investigate
  • Options
    At work - run as quick as i can and be as far as possible from the designated meeting area so i can get as much time off work as possible.

At Uni (if i went) - probably go to the canteen for a coffee.

At home - Wonder why i can hear a fire alarm when we haven't got one.

Though we do, ofc, have smoke alrams. Pedantic, moi ? :)
  • Options
    At college - usually panic and not have a clue what that noise was and then run down to the car park.

Home - it's always a false alarm (it's very heat sensitive) so the door is just shut and the light turned on. Usually shuts up after a few minutes.

Is it just me, or are fire drills always done when it's chucking it down with rain/very cold?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are fire drills always done when it's chucking it down with rain/very cold?

Yes, or in the middle of the night
  • Options
    turn the grill off, take the battery out.
  • Options
    Usually go on an Internet forum and start a thread.
  • Options
    Nothing.
  • Options
    Once at uni, the fire alarm went off because a guy tried to cook rice.... with no water >_<
  • Options
    At work I have to evacuate everyone. Fun times.

At home I'd probably panic cos it never goes off.
  • Options
    At uni, it depended on time and reason:

If during lectures - leave the leacture and don't come back
    If at 12 noon - leave canteen and head for the boozer.
    If at 6PM - student trying to make toast, but causes whole hall of residence to evacuate.
    If at 12 midnight - caused by people smoking joint. The drunkards simply go outside with their bottles.
    If at 3AM - normally doesn't apply coz I'm out clubbing.
    If at 5AM - just sleep through it.
  • Options
    Work - go out with the rest
    School - close the door and continue lecture (the alarm goes off several times a semester because somebody has gone out the wrong door :\)
    Home - probably either look for the fire or turn it off.
  • Options
    home - blame my housemates, and take refuge from the noise in my room

uni - follow the procedure, wonder why my £2000 course fee are being spent on all the secruity gurards that come from nowhere in those situations.

work - (pub) announce that theres no need to panic or evaucate as a non emergency mishap occured in the kitchen - only to find no one in the entire pub as moved or even stopped their converstation.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Depends. If its at home I investigate, if its at Uni I tend to ignore it or slowly walk out because everytime its been a prank!

ha, yeah i was like that at uni then this happened at the halls i was staying in...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4179007.stm

ahhhh, that was eventful and rather funny at the time. uni days, ahhh :razz:
  • Options
    Such a phrase called tackling a problem?
  • Options
    if i'm in my block, i'll go outside because it will take at least 10 mins for anyone to turn up to sort it out as i'm at the top of the hill, and ours rarely goes off...it has been a real fire on 2 occations so everyone comes out now. if i'm in anyone elses block we ignore it unless its going for more than 2 mins, in which case its either a fault or theres actually a fire (2 so far this year in the lower blocks)
  • Options

Are they bad for you there?

They never stop here. I just ignore them unless they go off for ages, then I begrudgingly go and check if there actually is a fire. There never is and so I carry on ignoring them.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They happened most nights at Storthes, less so at Aspley.

Had about 3 within a month in the library recently. One the day before my dissertation was due. Not amused.
  • Options
    They happened most nights at Storthes, less so at Aspley.

Had about 3 within a month in the library recently. One the day before my dissertation was due. Not amused.

Oh yeah, I was evacuated from the library last month for a fire alarm. Evacuated everyone in the building, it was a complete waste of time as there was no fire at all. gah, stupid things.