Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Claiming job seekers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I never thought I would need to ask this but I guess there is a first time for everything.

I am jobless at the moment and a family member mentioned claiming job seekers allowance. I'm visiting family at the moment and moving to Reading with a friend very shortly where I will visit the job centre- however I wondered if anyone else had done this once leaving uni? Do we have to be out for so long?

Thanks, Steve.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll spend most of your life paying tax, so claim the money whilst it's on offer. I did it until my wife's earnings took us over the threshold; they counted her student loan as income but wouldn't take my income into account for her student loan.

You can claim it once you've officially left Uni, but not before.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I quit Uni I left in October, and I think I was claiming JSA by the November, so there's no time limit AFAIK.

After three months they were going to make me take an "aptitude test" to ensure that I wasn't entirely braindead, but I got a job a week before that deadline :D
    Not sure if that's just a Wales thing, because I know people who have been on JSA for longer than three months and not had to do that.