Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Address on driving licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all
Ever since I got my driving licence, I've kept the address on it as my dad's home address - that was where I was living when I passed my test, and since then I've lived in a variety of rented properties so have never changed it because they're not "permanent". However I've just had to provide copies of my licence to my workplace so I can drive the work cars and my boss got a bit funny about it because it was my dad's address rather than the address of my current flat in Cardiff. My contract in this flat is up this month and things are quite uncertain as to whether we'll be staying on or having to move - again! - at the moment (there are other factors in this besides our contract being up), so I'm loathe to change the address on my driving licence when I might well be having to do it all over again when/if we move. I'm just a bit worried though, would I get into trouble for this if I committed any driving offences? Or would they accept my dad's address as "mine" if I explained the reasoning behind it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to notify DVLA of any change of address unless it is temporary. Temporary means a few weeks, not a six month tenancy. There's a fine if you don't tell DVLA.

It's free to get the address changed, you just post it back with the new address written on the back of the paper counterpart. Takes about a week for it to come back.
    Cheers :) I'll do it then - knowing my luck it'll happen this week if I don't. Thank you for the advice.
    I'd wait if you think that you're going to move within a few weeks, but really you should have done it before, when you first moved in.

Don't worry too much, it took me 12 months to get around to doing it. And my parents had moved house, so I couldn't use that excuse either.
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'm just a bit worried though, would I get into trouble for this if I committed any driving offences? Or would they accept my dad's address as "mine" if I explained the reasoning behind it?
    as kermit said when you change your address you need to notify the DVLA and get it updated on your license. if you did commit any driving offenses, got caught and the police officer dealing could not verify your address (and/or your identity) you'd be arrested.