Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

okokok i need help ... my boss is a ****

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so yerr
ive recently turned 17

and ive been 'training' as a florist in a well knowen shop in liverpool for 4 months.

ive never been employed before (bar a paper round when i was 13) but even i have noticed that these are bad working conditions

first of all, the amount of times ive been in tears at work now due to my boss, he is not the one who wanted to employ me, but willing agreed along with the manager to train me. so far i have recived very little training, which is understandable since work can be busy and the mamger may not have time, but never the less i have been thrown in the deep end and im trying my hardest.
even though i feel im trying my hardest, my boss frequently tells me what im doing is **** (yes he actually swears about it) and threatens to fire me
a good example would be today, where i was makeing up an arrange ment in a vase and there was to many leaves left on a aplnt, so first off all he says 'what are you doing? theres leaves on that stem pull them off!' so i pulled the leaves on the stem off, leaving the leves closest to the flower to make it look worth the money. i finish the job and he then goes over to it pulls it out the bags and finds 1 leaf which while i was arrangeing the flowers and come off and fallen into the water, and says ' i think its about time we say goodbye to you dont we.... ill talk to you about it on a later date'.
he has no intention of fireing me, he is threatening me with it. and it throughly annoys me how he dosnt appreciate ive been workin there 4 months and somehow thinks that just because im 4 years younger than the next youngest employee that im stupid and think its all normal to be treated like that.

further more, i think its very hipocritical of him to tell me im rubbish at my job after 4 months when i do everything im asked and have no problem with authority (surprising for a teenager) when this month, he lost one of the rotas with everyones hours on for a week and GUESSED THE PAY FOR THAT MONTH which is VERY obvious considering i got payed exactly £350 and the other 2 people workin got payed exactly £670 and £550. round numbers.

non of the employees have valid contracts
only one of them has ever signed a contract and that was when he was manager and now he isnt so it dosnt even count anymore
i have never recived a payslip.
and neither has anyone else for the past 4 months atleast.

ive been told by other employees in the past 'dont have a lunch break today, just keep him in a happy mood' or 'finish that order before you go' to which i have replied 'is he going to pay me for the extra 30 mins i stay?' the reply of course being no
ive worked extra hours to get the shop clean and been told not to put them on the rota beacause he will kick off about it.

and the list goes on and on....

basially what i need to know is
HOW THE HELL DO I SORT THIS OUT :|?

someone hellpp pleaseee...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont think this is one of them bosses you can reason with since it is multiple problems and not just a singular problem. I would, in your position consider looking for another job while your working, I would not suggest quit without another job lined up but maybe change jobs, then you could possibly report him for all the employment laws he has broken, but that'd be just the icing on the cake if it were me.

I'm not sure there is anything you could do which would let you keep the job and for it to be how it should, from the little you've said he seems one of these bosses who doesn't give a shit and I don't think you can change that,

Sorry, and hope it gets better.
    He sounds like a cunt. Yeah I'd definately start looking for another job, are there other florists who could train you? Don't leave until you've found another job though. Otherwise, could you not talk to the person who wanted to hire you about it?
    Once you've left for another job, tell this bloke he's a prick and spit in his face or something.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Ray-bbz,

Welcome to TheSite.org and sorry to hear about the problems you are having in your job in a florist.

As others have said, you could choose to leave and try and find another job, but in the current climate it might be difficult. That also means you having to jump ship when it is your boss who is the problem.

From your post, it sounds like this shop is either part of a chain or well-known. Is it owned by the boss or someone else? If it is someone else, you could consider approaching them.

The most important thing to do is to keep a accurate record of what has happened and how you are feeling. Every day, keep a diary about what happened that day and how you made you feel. It can be a written diary, but you could also do something like record it on to a computer via a webcam.

Make sure all your allegations are true - don't report as fact anything that someone else tells you or you have heard about.

When you have enough evidence, you could consider approaching your manager formally. Write a letter explaining why you think his actions were inappropriate and how they made you feel. This might seem a risky strategy, but your manager has the right to defend the allegations.

If you don't get a satisfactory response, then you should approach their boss or the company head office. If this doesn't work, or your boss is the owner and won't change their ways, then you could consider going to a tribunal for constructive dismissal (this is when your boss makes your job so impossible to do you have no option but to leave).

You could approach your local Connexions, Citizens Advice or ACAS for advice. The ACAS helpline can also provide you with individual advice, call 08457 47 47 47.

From what you describe, it sounds like your boss probably feels out of his depth in his position, and the only way he feels he can control the situation is to make everyone scared of him. Unfortunately it's an all-too-common approach, and you'll probably encounter another boss like him in the future.

Just remember, the problem is his, not yours.

Good luck...

Olly
    Meh, in this situation, I wouldn't even bother sticking it out. I'd just leave.

It's basically bullying on the job. There's no way I'd ever take that kind of treatment and carry on working for somebody.
    Although everyone has goven some good advise, I would also like to point out that you should, by law, recieve a payslip and its within your rights to ask for one. It does sound like your being bullied by your boss and looking for a job elesewher if you can may not be a bad thing.