Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Blender Fun!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just bought a blender today which my Mum is kindly paying for as an early birthday present... I decided on buying a juicer around 2 years ago which was a complete mistake as it takes forever to clean and is such a hassle and therefore I have hardly used it. In complete contrast I have fallen in love with my blender and have already managed fantastic chocolate and banana milkshakes.

So... what else can I make using my blender? Not 'so' bothered about foodie things, more smoothies etc as I am hoping I can use it as a way to get a bit more fruit down my husband's throat!

I want to use fresh fruit but am also aware that it will be quite expensive to always use fresh prime fruit, I am going to look for places which have slightly out of date stuff and I know you can buy frozen fruit from the supermarket but not sure how good it will be, any ideas?

Then I guess it is choosing the liquidy portion and so far I've thought of yoghurt, milk, ice or fruit juice...

Has anyone got any good ideas for particular recipes or anything like that? All suggestions gratefully appreciated!!

Oooo and on a more foodie note, anyone got any good recipes for a bolognese sauce?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Both frozen fruit and tinned can be good for smoothies. You can buy tins of raspberries or strawberries, or bags of frozen mixed berries, which are great for smoothies.

I don't have recipes, I just throw stuff in and see how it tastes, but I like to use fruit juice to give it some liquid, sometimes with a bit of greek yogurt and honey as a treat. Apples (cored obviously) blend fine. I quite often make smoothies with a banana, and apple and then one type of more fun fruit like blueberries, strawberries etc. It's a great way to get three pieces of fruit. Also a great tip is to throw in some seeds, sunflower, pumpkin or flax, as these disappear to nothing but are really good for you.

I bought a cheap book with delicious smoothie recipes for a couple of quid from Borders, which has loads of yummy ideas.

Oh, and of course, for a fun milkshake blend some vanilla ice cream, milk, baileys and kahlua!
    If you are in a hurry you can just blend your lunch. The steak and the potatoes and the onions all into a homogenous sauce. It takes far less time to consume and as a german proverb says, "in the stomach everything will be unified."... at least a crude translation.

you can even add the desert, like pudding or ice cream to it and have it down in one gulp. it's awesome.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    If you are in a hurry you can just blend your lunch. The steak and the potatoes and the onions all into a homogenous sauce. It takes far less time to consume and as a german proverb says, "in the stomach everything will be unified."... at least a crude translation.

you can even add the desert, like pudding or ice cream to it and have it down in one gulp. it's awesome.

Lol I don't intend to have a liquidised dinner for some years yet ;)

Thanks for the ideas Jamelia, I didn't know they did tinned fruit other than the obligitory 'fruit salad' kind of stuff!
    Tip for smoothies.... Celery goes really well when mixed with strawberries (and usually banana to thicken it) and wild rocket is also divine.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Tip for smoothies.... Celery goes really well when mixed with strawberries (and usually banana to thicken it) and wild rocket is also divine.

Wow that sounds a bit different! Not a celery fan but I wonder whether you can really taste it?

I had a bit of a mix this morning with banana, apple, grapes, orange juice and cranberry juice... it tasted alright but the texture was a bit odd and I think it was the apple which caused it... any ideas?
    Frozen fruit and natural yoghurt as standard for smoothies.
    Blend vanilla ice cream and oreo cookies (and baileys to make it alchoholic)..tis teh sex.
    jamelia wrote: »
    vanilla ice cream, milk, baileys and kahlua!

White Russian! :yippe: :heart::yum:
    Splodey -is http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/food-processor-blender the sort of thing you're after?
    Melian wrote: »
    Splodey -is http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/food-processor-blender the sort of thing you're after?

Thanks very much Melian :)

My sister-in-law told me that you can buy frozen ready smoothies from the supermarket which you just shove straight in and blend... sounds like a bit of a cheat but I will have a look next time I am in there :)
    I used frozen fruits to make smoothies, just use some apple juice and blend them all up. So easy!

The good thing about frozen fruit is it doesn't go off and isn't that expensive!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Grab some fruit, and raid the chocolate counter at the local petrol station, chuck all the goodies a blender with a pint of milk and make milkshake cocktails
    Weekender Offender