Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Windows OEM product keys

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
The answer is probably "No", but it can't hurt to ask.
My computer came with Vista preinstalled and I have the OEM product key. If I were to -ahem- acquire a copy of a Vista OEM disc, would the product key work with it, so that I could install the system myself instead of using the preinstalled one?
By the way, I don't mean if it would just be accepted to install, I mean if it would also activate and let me use updates with no problems and no hacks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure if this is possible with Vista. I managed to do it with XP recently on a Dell laptop.
    I think you can. When we get branded customer machines that don't have their recovery CD (but still has a COA on the side of the case), we can use our bog-standard Windows installation disc. It will accept the COA and will proceed to activate OK. As long as it's the same machine you're installing too (because that's what an OEM license is), then you're fine.
    Yes and it's not even illegal to get the discs as such. Just makes sure it's the same version (Home Basic, Home Premium). You can chop and change between x32 and x64 all you like though.

Also if it says the hardware has changed you can just phone up and get it re-set up to the new hardware in about 5 minutes, they're supposed to query it but I guess they get bored of that so just give you the activation number.
    Is that even if the motherboard is changed?
    Yeah, just say that a capacitor blew on it or something and you had to replace it *shrug*
    That's what I was going to do if I had to install my copy of Vista OEM onto anything else (the machine it got installed on has since been donated to a friend, and he preferred XP) but new machines (with licenses) + a new TechNet subscription means I shouldn't have to :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks! That's highly convenient.
    And it's the same machine, I just want to install it myself.
    It works, I have done it myself.
    I've changed the motherboard on my PC, I just told her I'd upgraded my PC, she said fine. I don't think they get paid enough to give you the third degree, normally as long as you don't say 'lulz I am giving it to my friend so we dont have to buy it again' they just give you a new activation code. I've reset my hardware profile 3 times with my cd.
    That's awesome guys. Thanks for the responses regarding the change of mobo. I'm hoping to upgrade my CPU/mobo later on this year, but I want to keep my XP Pro OEM hoping not to have to pay £95 for another license!
    The answer is probably "No", but it can't hurt to ask.
    My computer came with Vista preinstalled and I have the OEM product key. If I were to -ahem- acquire a copy of a Vista OEM disc, would the product key work with it, so that I could install the system myself instead of using the preinstalled one?
    By the way, I don't mean if it would just be accepted to install, I mean if it would also activate and let me use updates with no problems and no hacks.

Some discs are tied to a particular BIOS from the manufacturer. You may find that using a Vista disc from a different manufacturer means your copy won't be activated.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Some discs are tied to a particular BIOS from the manufacturer. You may find that using a Vista disc from a different manufacturer means your copy won't be activated.
    I see, thanks for that!