Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you ever been hospitalised due to alcohol/drug related?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
watching the channel 4 documentary, the hospital, it fucking amazes me how many people end up in a and e due to either themselves or someone else drinking too much and causing injury. i myself have never been in such a situation (touch wood) and it never occurred to me to just how much time and money is wasted on idiots like this.

have you ever been hospitalised due to alcohol/drug related incidents? im interested because im off to uni in september to study nursing.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't because of me drinking too much, but I have ended up being looked over by paramedics because some idiots decided to have a fight in a very crowded smoking area and sent me flying. Nothing more than a bloody nose and some horrible bruises though so I said I'd be OK without going hospital. :no: Still ruined a perfectly good night out.

I've known friends end up in A&E after nights out, nothing as serious as what was on that program though - normally the lads in silly fights :rolleyes:
  • Options
    smashed up once on benzos and drink although wasnt me that done it so doesnt count .. and once after a 3 day bender on the speed, kept fainting didnt know what was goin on, was nothin overly serious though

bar diazepam i cant think of any times any of my mates have ended up hospitalised

drink on the other hand .. know lots of people! mostly from fighting...
  • Options
    Have ended up in hospital due to things done on drugs/alcohol, though not due to overdose or anything like that.
  • Options
    No I never have and none of my friends have.

I have nursed quite a few who have come in due to drink/drug related injuries also had a few on critical care due to being completely knocked out in fights/stabbed etc.
  • Options
    Erm, not directly no. But I dislocated my knee whilst I was drunk though the drink had nothing to do with it. I went the hospital the next day when I sobered up. But never directly, or in the same night.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    From fightning yes, several times - been stabbed, badly broken my hand twice, suffered concussion, broken nose - all on nights out.
    Some of those times I was drunk, some of those times I was sober.

But never simply because I've drank too much or done too many drugs. I've never got myself so wasted I've passed out or injured myself .
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not personally no, I tend to know when to stop. However, I have seen the results of plenty of street fights and the effect of way too much alcohol, all of which have resulted in a ride to hospital.

I never really thought about how annoying it is for the staff at the hospital, as it's their job, however, from watching that programme I do now sympathise with what they have to put up with, especially when they end up being assaulted.

On the other hand, maybe they just need to lighten up a bit.

And that girl's foot was pretty messy, but she made herself look a bit of a dick on television.
  • Options
    I knew someone who put themself in A&E because of taking a huge dose of 2-CT-7, they were completely lost (unsurprisingly) as to what the hell he had taken and what to do.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    And that girl's foot was pretty messy, but she made herself look a bit of a dick on television.

Really?

As far as I coudl make out it wasn't her fault. Somebody had thrown something at a car which then reversed suddenly and ran her over.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Really?

As far as I coudl make out it wasn't her fault. Somebody had thrown something at a car which then reversed suddenly and ran her over.

Yeah but she was wasted and so wasn't very aware of what was going on around her.

Anyway, I didn't mean it was that which made her look a dick. I know she was only making a joke out of the situation which I would have done too, but when the camera crew mentioned it was a costly night for her, she was like hahaha I only spent £20, pretty cheap really.

The fact that she was drunk, and ran over by a car, and then made that comment on television just made her look a dick head imo. But I think her lesson has been learnt, she was pretty upset by the whole thing and the fact she won't walk well for a few years.
  • Options
    Anyway, I didn't mean it was that which made her look a dick. I know she was only making a joke out of the situation which I would have done too, but when the camera crew mentioned it was a costly night for her, she was like hahaha I only spent £20, pretty cheap really.

The fact that she was drunk, and ran over by a car, and then made that comment on television just made her look a dick head imo. But I think her lesson has been learnt, she was pretty upset by the whole thing and the fact she won't walk well for a few years.

You've two stories mixed up. That was the other woman. The one who'd stepped out infront of a taxi, suffered internal bleeding, and was given 10 times the amount of Ketamine she should have recieved resulting in heart stopping for 11 minutes.

The one who suffered the foot injury was drunk but it wasn't her fault, and if I remember correctly she was crying about not being normal again to her mum. Very sad I thought.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Oh was it? :blush:

Either way I thought she was ran over by something and was drunk. I didn't hear anything about whether it was her fault or not.
  • Options
    No, because I dont let myself get that wasted I dont know whats going on around me anymore. My mums an orthopedic nurse and has to treat plently of paitents on her ward who have broken various bones while drunk.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    You've two stories mixed up. That was the other woman. The one who'd stepped out infront of a taxi, suffered internal bleeding, and was given 10 times the amount of Ketamine she should have recieved resulting in heart stopping for 11 minutes.

The one who suffered the foot injury was drunk but it wasn't her fault, and if I remember correctly she was crying about not being normal again to her mum. Very sad I thought.

yeah i was just thinkin the same thing. i assume the guy who miscalculated the ketamine dosage was fired? because they blurred his face out?

also thought it was incredibly brave of the family whos son died, to agree to let the footage of him be shown on the programme.
  • Options
    yeah i was just thinkin the same thing. i assume the guy who miscalculated the ketamine dosage was fired? because they blurred his face out?

also thought it was incredibly brave of the family whos son died, to agree to let the footage of him be shown on the programme.

No they weren't fired, and it wasn't mentioned he was. They played it down in the programme if you noticed but with Adrenaline and CPR managed to get her back. It was 10mg of Ket in a ml and they gave 10mls given when they only wanted a ml.

Yeah it's a serious mistake but when things are so hetic and orders are being shouted it's easy to see how a mistake like that could occur.
  • Options
    Me never.
    But my good friend who was on night out got stabbed and instantly died from a friend who was on drink+coke binge now serving at least 20 year jail.
    :angel: R.I.P GILLY:angel: Gone but never forgotten.
  • Options
    Aj fan wrote: »
    Me never.
    But my good friend who was on night out got stabbed and instantly died from a friend who was on drink+coke binge now serving at least 20 year jail.
    :angel: R.I.P GILLY:angel: Gone but never forgotten.

Your friend was killed by his own friend?

I'm not drinking for a long time after last night, I have spent the morning concentrating on trying not to be sick and I think one of my toes has broke :(
  • Options
    Your friend was killed by his own friend?

I'm not drinking for a long time after last night, I have spent the morning concentrating on trying not to be sick and I think one of my toes has broke :(

Yeah he was i know disgusting that what 3 day coke binge does to you.
    Aww are you ok?:heart:
    I did a thread about in law section bit ago.
  • Options
    i have, i got 2 broken bones in a drunk ass fight i got into with a friend, i was SO drunk i had a blackout and didnt remember anything from the night when i woke up, plus i lost my hat lol. ive since quit drinking for good, seeing how i usually always do something really stupid when im drunk.
  • Options
    Nearly did when i was 15. Luckily had a narrow escape and learnt a very valuable lesson about control which has stayed with me so no never ended up in hospital for anything done through drink.

When my dad was in last year we sat in a + e from 7pm until 2am and some of the states that came in were unbelievable. There were three young lads who were separately admitted. All had obviously been hitting the pop far too hard and were all sleeping when brought in. When they were finally brought round they were abusive to the nurses and one got quite agressive as he was freaking out at having a pipe put into his arm.
    I just sat there and realised what a waste of these people's time it was looking after the ungrateful tossers. There were people in that ward who were very ill, old, scared, having emotional problems etc and deserved being looked after. Then the families turned up. Well buggered if they didn't turn up, swan round, wail about their sons state and then mouth off at anyone who happened to be wearing a uniform that their poor creature hadn't been looked after properly :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Nearly did when i was 15. Luckily had a narrow escape and learnt a very valuable lesson about control which has stayed with me so no never ended up in hospital for anything done through drink.

When my dad was in last year we sat in a + e from 7pm until 2am and some of the states that came in were unbelievable. There were three young lads who were separately admitted. All had obviously been hitting the pop far too hard and were all sleeping when brought in. When they were finally brought round they were abusive to the nurses and one got quite agressive as he was freaking out at having a pipe put into his arm.
    I just sat there and realised what a waste of these people's time it was looking after the ungrateful tossers. There were people in that ward who were very ill, old, scared, having emotional problems etc and deserved being looked after. Then the families turned up. Well buggered if they didn't turn up, swan round, wail about their sons state and then mouth off at anyone who happened to be wearing a uniform that their poor creature hadn't been looked after properly :rolleyes:

i can imagine. ungrateful fuckers.
  • Options
    I've never had to go to hospital due to too much drink/drugs but was before for fighting due to alcohol.

Went with a mate when her heart went funny (she has a heart condition)after taking an e. I was proper battered with my carryout in the hospital.
  • Options
    Nope i myself haven't, and hopefully never will!

But i have seen what it can make people do to others or them selfs, and it scares me just to think that it could be me running into that person after hes had a drink to many :no:
  • Options
    Have you been to ANE late night for being drunk? Did you notice that some people with very serious problems (such as kidney pain, heart problem, severe earache ):( keep sitting in the waiting room while the drunk get treated??
  • Options
    Never, i've put people in the backs of ambulances though because they've drunk too much, they tend to be 14 year old kids as well.
  • Options
    I dont know if it counts but I have a reputation as a fighter and regularly get drunk people trying to take me on and getting themselves hospitalised