Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Notice Of Seizure Of Controlled Drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All

I ordered some sleeping tablets (Lorazepam) on-line, can't remember the name of the company, used them one time previous to this as well without a problem.

Today I got a letter with HM Revenue & Customs on it but it was from a "Post Seizure Unit" as a Postal Dept.

It said the Lorazepam was liable to forfeiture on the grounds they are controlled drugs imported from Pakistan contrary to section 3(1) of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

When I read that I almost had a heart attack!

However it does go on to say it's a "civil" rather than "criminal" issue and that I can go to court to show could reasons by these tablets should not be "condemned".

I don't care about the wasted money I spent and I dont want to make any claim to get these pills.

It says if no such claim is made within one month the items will be deemed to have been "duly condemned as forfeited"

I just want to find out, is what I have done illegal and am I liable to civil or criminal proceedings against me?

What's the law in terms of ordering things like sleeping tablets, tranquilisers and antidepressants on-line?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Would have been best posting this in only one place.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Would have been best posting this in only one place.

Yeh, true just joined and got a bit trigger happy, i'm hoping for a positive outcome to this problem of posting twice, fingers crossed LOL
  • Options
    You just said in your first post that it sayts you have the option to go to court if you want to prove why you think you should have the tablets back, not that they are going to try you for something.

Sounds like if you dont contest, they are just going to destroy the tablets.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    You just said in your first post that it sayts you have the option to go to court if you want to prove why you think you should have the tablets back, not that they are going to try you for something.

Sounds like if you dont contest, they are just going to destroy the tablets.

Yes, sounds that way. People are telling me not to worry, i'm just still anxious about it, wondered if anyone has experienced similar or knows anything, thanks for posting, i'm off to bed now
  • Options
    i'm sorry i don't know the answer to that question

but WHY would you do that when you can just get scripts with a few repeats from your doc?

my psychiatrist puts like 5 repeats on the scripts of the different meds i'm on, i go to a cheap chemist and get mine for a good price and know that they are genuine.

may i add that i think it was very stupid of you to order loraz online. do you have anxiety or insomnia? first of all, lorazepam is a benzodiazepine, and this class of medications are very addictive. trust me, i was on loraz for two years, now i'm on alprazolam which is even more addictive. i'm on it for GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and panic disorder. they are not something to mess around with and buy online. same deal with anti-depressants and other tranquilisers and sleeping pills.
  • Options
    Next time probably best just to go to the doctors
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Next time probably best just to go to the doctors

:yes: There's a really good reason not to buy prescription drugs online, aside from the problems which you've encountered, and that is for the precise reason why they are prescription only in the first place. If they even are the right drug (as some of these companies send out very poor, or even dangerous substitutes), the person buying them is not a doctor, and therefore not in a position to understand fully the contraindications of certain drugs, appropriate dosage for the age/weight/gender/health status, etc, etc etc.
    Even if it is something you have been prescribed the same drug before and are ordering online so that you can get it cheaper, it can still be risky. Partly for what I mentioned above about the drugs not necessarily being what you think you're ordering, and also because there are some drugs which are not healthy to take for a long time, for instance, sleeping tablets! Your GP would not necessarily prescribe them again to you, but won't know if you're ordering them online, so won't have the opportunity to explain to you why it's not a good idea.
  • Options
    If you have a prescription from a doctor you could contest it, but it's probably best to forget about them. If you have drugs imported with your name on them it is going to draw attention to you. A proportion of packages will be opened depending on how discrete they are. Probably best to go through the proper channels next time.
  • Options
    Hi James,

I've merged the two threads and left the one in Law, since that seems the best place.

As to the situation you're in, it's obviously pretty stressful so hopefully everything will turn out okay in the end.

The fact that you've been sent a letter that's so open about the situation and doesn't mention any legal proceedings if you don't argue the case seems to suggestion you wouldn't face any form of action.

However I'm not really certain about the legal specifics so what I'd suggest is contacting Release. Although Release do focus on narcotics law they are a charity concerned with providing advice around all Drugs policy, so should be able to answer your questions.

The link for their website -
    http://www.release.org.uk/

and their helpline number is - 0845 4500 215

Hope they can help :)
  • Options
    Thanks for replies everyone, yeh I found about Release yesterday, just waiting for them to open on Tuesday now! Cheers
  • Options
    All benzo's fall under the Misuse of Drugs Act, so I assume you are technically guilty of 'importation of a class C drug' however because of the personal nature of the amount they cant be bothered the expense of a trial as you would only get a fine or a caution.

As for why you should or should not buy benzo's online, that really is up to you but just because you want to get high is not a good enough reason to go to your GP. And anyway the biggest reason not to buy online is the amount of fakes, oh and benzo's are addictive.